Freshman spotlight: Epworth

Meet Ademola Olayinka from Jonestown, N.C., one of the few incoming residents to Epworth, Duke's smallest dorm. This interview is part of a summer blog series profiling one Class of 2018 member from each of the 13 East Campus dorms. Look out for the rest of the blogs on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays leading up to Orientation Week.

Major: Mathematics

Pre-oreination: None

Summer plans: "I’m a clinical operations intern. I help around with managing files from the drug studies."

Favorite type of weather: "The kind of weather before a storm."

Favorite book or literary work: "A Storm of Swords" by George R. R. Martin

Spirit animal: A tiger. "That's my high school mascot."

Guilty pleasure: "Dancing when nobody is around. Dancing really badly."

Is it like in "Napoleon Dynamite"? "Yes, exactly."

Impression from first visit to Duke: I felt like I was in a medieval castle. I was surprised by how big it was — I wasn't expecting it to be that spread out and how close the community was.

Things he's excited to try out at Duke: "Being able to play a sport — ultimate, soccer, and field hockey."

What I’m most nervous about at Duke: "Being in a place where everybody is genius. Finding the right people — being able to find your group the right people to hang out with or a good group who are just friends."

If he could be famous for one thing, what it would be: "Inventing the first widely available jet pack."

Weirdest thing he plans to pack: A model ship. "I've never had a model ship before and impulsively bought it in England last summer."

Essential dorm decorating item: A giant poster of a bald eagle

Any last thoughts: "I hope we become a tight knit community like they say about this dorm as we’re expected to be."

Share and discuss “Freshman spotlight: Epworth” on social media.