Dzau replacement search committee formed

A committee tasked with finding a replacement for Victor Dzau, the
outgoing Chancellor for Health Affairs and Duke University Health System CEO, has been formed, according to an announcement by President Richard Brodhead.

In an email to Duke Medicine employees that was published on Duke Today Monday, Brodhead said the search committee will be chaired by G. Richard Wagoner Jr., the immediate past chair of the Board of Trustees and former CEO of General Motors. Dr. Barton F. Haynes, the Frederic M. Hanes Professor of Medicine and Immunology and Global Health Director of the Duke Human Vaccine Institute and Duke Center for HIV/AIDS Vaccine Immunology, will serve as vice chair.

The committee will be composed of University administrators, Duke Medicine administrators, medical school professors and one medical student.

“The search committee will be charged with identifying candidates who are devoted to the research and teaching missions of a world-class academic medical center and who deeply understand the business of health care, and who can ensure that these potentially rival activities serve and support each other in complementary fashion,” Brodhead wrote.

During the search, Dr. William J. Fulkerson Jr., executive vice president of Duke University Health System, and Dr. Nancy Andrews, Dean of the School of Medicine, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Nanaline H. Duke Professor of Pediatrics and Professor of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, will report directly to Brodhead. The new Dean of the School of Nursing will also report directly to Brodhead when that position is filled.

The search will begin immediately and is expected to be completed in late 2014, with the hope of having a new chancellor in office by early 2015, Brodhead wrote.

Share and discuss “Dzau replacement search committee formed” on social media.