Krzyzewski: Parker has 'a big-time decision not to go'

Krzyzewski would coach at Duke for at least five more seasons

"We have no announcement or anything of that nature today," Krzyzewski said when first asked about the players' potential decisions to enter the NBA draft.

Although Krzyzewski did not comment on Parker and Hood's futures, that did not stop the 34th-year head coach from commenting on their likely draft prospects. Krzyzewski indicated that for Parker, the chance to break into the NBA at 19 years old as a surefire top-five pick could be too much to pass up.

"Jabari is in a great position for his future, so that will be a big-time decision not to go, I think," Krzyzewski said, "because he is going to be one of the top picks."

As for Hood, Krzyzewski indicated that he believed the redshirt sophomore would almost definitely be a first round pick if he entered this year's draft.

Krzyzewski—who has been sending players to the NBA for more than three decades—indicated that draft position should not be the primary concern in Parker and Hood's decisions.

"It's not about being a first-round pick—it's if you're ready," he said. "You can get washed out there real quick. If you're a high lottery pick you can become... a monetary asset for an organization, and your chance of washing out—you've got to be bad. If you're later, you've got to hit it really quick because they don't have to pick you up after two years. So it's more important if you have staying power."

These major decisions will greatly affect Krzyzewski's personnel for his 2014-15 squad, but regardless of whether or not Parker or Hood make the decision to stay the head coach is prepared to stand by his players.

"These kids should do what is right for them," Krzyzewski said. "We'll let that happen either way."

Share and discuss “Krzyzewski: Parker has 'a big-time decision not to go'” on social media.