Watch List: Old Duke

When a Duke student pictures outdoor, springtime concerts, it’s hard not to conjure images of wild electronic dance music festivals and the madness that is LDOC. But there is a crucial demographic that is not addressed by the modern concert atmosphere. Old Duke targets that audience while also appealing to student nostalgia.

A concert hosted by the Joe College Concerts committee of Duke University Union, Old Duke has always been an event to remind Duke students of the music of their youth. This much-adored springtime concert has traditionally had a “throwback” theme. The Joe College Concerts committee has brought in formerly popular 90s artists in past years, including Smash Mouth and Shaggy, to perform in a casual, outdoor setting. In 2013, Old Duke was held on Keohane Quad, which is where the event will be held again this year.

“Last year the whole quad was filled,” said Alexandra Levine, chair of the Joe College Concerts committee, referencing the more than 1,500 students that attended the concert last year. “It’s really just meant to be a relaxing concert.”

This year, Joe College Concerts has worked to make sure that the April 4 concert is just as much of a throwback as it has been in years past. Throughout the day, there will be activities such as Hula-Hoops and other retro-inspired games. The concert itself, which begins at 7 p.m., will begin with an opener act, followed by a headliner that Levine assures was “definitely the favorite” among members of the Joe College Concerts committee during the voting process.

This year, like it has in the past, Old Duke seeks to kick off Duke’s end-of-year festivities with some old-school style. Keep an eye out for details about performers the week before spring break.

Share and discuss “Watch List: Old Duke” on social media.