Kickback Fridays at the CSGD

Last fall, the Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity did away with Fabulous Friday and started a new program, dubbed 'Kickback Fridays'.

Fabulous Friday was very popular for a long time, but we were very short staffed for a couple years,and so we decided to do away with the program,” said Janie Long, director of CSGD. "Thinking about it over the summer, I just decided it was time to do something again on Fridays. Fridays are just a good day for people to relax and have some fun, and so we came up with the idea of Kickback Friday.”

Student Programming Assistant Jordan Fraser said Kickback Friday gives space “to come hang out, meet people and relax at the end of the week.”

“It’s a good event that draws new people in all the time,” he said.

Student Programming Assistant Cesar Utuy said Kickback Friday “creates community.

We try to get social events so that it balances out all of our more academic and discussion based groups,” Utuy said. In addition to Kickback Friday, CSGD has four discussion groups: Man to Man, Women Loving Women, Spectrum and Athlete Ally, he said.

“For Kickback Friday, we want to have more social events so that people can meet each other in less structured formats so that it’s easier to get to know other people in the community.

As Social Media and Advertising assistant for the CSGD, Utuy puts up Facebook notices and creates posters and flyers to advertise Kickback Friday. He said each of the student staff hosts a different themed Kickback Friday throughout the semester. Once they decide on a theme and what kind of food they want to have, Utuy sends the information to Program Coordinator of CSGD India Pierce, who emails the CSGD listserv.

Economics graduate student Khai Zaw heard about Kickback Friday through CSGD’s listserv and occasionally goes to the event. She said she likes the relaxed atmosphere, people, and delicious foods.

It’s a lot of fun, and I like seeing the people. There’s always food and something to do, and it’s a nice way to de-stress," said junior Liz Novaski.

CSGD relocated from the basement of West Union to Bryan Center beginning of last fall. Fraser noted that the new space is a lot more “\inviting” and “easier to coordinate events.

“It’s in a more central location, and it’s easier for people to just see what’s going on and come in and say 'Hi',” Fraser said. Before, you had to know this event was happening in advance.”

“People come here between classes, study, eat their lunches here, and even take naps,” Long said about the new location.

Long said she is pleased with the response of Kickback Friday.

“It definitely meets the want that people have to gather on Friday afternoons,” she said.It’s kind of kick off into the weekend to come and have some fun, laugh, let loose a little bit, and make new friends. And I’m very pleased that that happens.”

This coming Friday, CSGD will host a Valentine’s Day themed Kickback Friday event, Utuy said. They will screen a romantic comedy film and have Valentine’s Day candy bags for people to give to whomever they choose.

Share and discuss “Kickback Fridays at the CSGD” on social media.