Durham ranks No.4 on Livability's best places to live list

Durham was ranked No.4 on the Livability Top 100 Best Places to Live 2014

Durham was recently voted the top fourth best place to live, according to a recent ranking.

The report—titled “Livability Top 100 Best Places to Live 2014”— puts major college towns in the top spots. Palo Alto, Calif. is ranked number one, followed by Boulder, Colo., Berkeley, Calif and Durham, N.C.

Local resident Laurin Penland, an employee at the Regulator Bookshop, noted that the Bull City, in addition to having a vibrant community, is very affordable.

“The people are also friendly and it’s very easy to build a community,” she said. “It’s an intellectual community with an incredible art scene and a lot of great restaurants.”

Analyzing data from more than 1,700 cities throughout the United States, Livability.com focused on small to mid-sized cities that do not usually get their fair share of attention. Experts and writers at Livability collaborated with market research firms and used data from public sources such as the U.S. Census Bureau, private-sector sources such as GreatSchools and nonprofit organizations such as Americans for the Arts. The cities on the list were ranked based on 8 sub-categories of criteria—amenities, demographics, economics, education, health care, housing, social and civic capital, transportation and infrastructure. This criteria was analyzed based on four guiding principles—access, affordability, choice and utilization.

Livability attributes Durham’s high ranking to its ability to maintain the character of the 19th and 20th century downtown while moving into a 21st century economy. They also credit Durham as “the medical city," regarding its high health care score based on its low spending and high number of hospitals.

Mary McMillan, resident of Durham for 40 years who works at Art Craft Framing Co. also spoke highly of Durham’s health care system.

“I think that people don’t appreciate the medical care available here until they go somewhere else,” McMillan said. “It’s excellent.”

Besides distinguishing Durham’s technological and scientific involvement in the Research Triangle Park, Livability also credits Durham with amenities and attractions such as the Museum of Life and Science and the Durham Performing Arts Center.

John Valentine, who lives in Hillsborough but works at The Regulator, added that Durham’s engaged residents enhance the community.

“The people here are cool, curious and creative,” he said. “It’s great for families… certainly not the pressure of the Northeast.”

Share and discuss “Durham ranks No.4 on Livability's best places to live list” on social media.