Duke Police arrest man living in Bryan Center

This story was updated 6:10 p.m. Monday to include Chief of Police John Dailey's statement.

Duke Police arrested a man Monday after discovering that he had been living in the Bryan Center and was connected to thefts in the building. The man has not yet been identified.

Associate Dean of Religious Life Christy Lohr found the man sleeping in the Religious Life office in the basement of the Bryan Center Monday morning. Duke Police responded to the scene and made the arrest, said Vice President of Administration Kyle Cavanaugh, adding that the man is a suspect in thefts that occurred in the building.

Chief of Police John Dailey said the male was "college aged" and was arrested for breaking and entering as well as for the theft of several items, including an iPad and laptop.

"The fact that he was in an office rather than a prayer space I think is an important distinction," Lohr said. "I think part of the reason he was in an office rather than a prayer space is because the prayer spaces are open for folks to use, so it's more public."

Early indications are that the man was also connected to other thefts in the Bryan Center as well.

"We were able to identify several stolen items, notably a matched pair of AKG audio microphones belonging to SmallTown Records," Manager of Duke Media Services Scott Wells said
. "Representatives from Duke Technical Services recognized some other electronic equipment from their inventory."

A week ago, the University Center Activities and Events had several items taken from various desks and cabinets.

"We found quite a few of the office doors standing open," said UCAE staff specialist Myra Stallings, who filed a police report. "Several file cabinets and desks had been rifled through and opened, presumably to locate keys to gain access to more areas."

University employees with offices in the basement of the Bryan Center had been experiencing the strong smell of burning incense for several weeks. Employees thought that it might have originated from one of the Religious Life prayer rooms, located around the corner from our office, but that was never confirmed, Wells said.

Lohr looked into the source of the smell and made signs to discourage the burning of incense in the basement, but found no sign of anyone living in the basement until unlocking the office today.

Lohr claims this would not have happened during the school year.

"It's a low traffic area," she said. "But during the year when the community is using those spaces for prayers, this wouldn't have happened, because of the use of the space."

Danielle Muoio contributed reporting.

Share and discuss “Duke Police arrest man living in Bryan Center” on social media.