The key three: Duke basketball vs. Michigan

Better Bench Production

The Blue Devil’s bench made little contribution during its last two games at Madison Square Garden over Thanksgiving, scoring just 11 points against Arizona and 14 against Alabama. Duke simply needs better production from their reserves moving forward, especially in big games such as the one against Michigan. Duke’s sophomores specifically need to step up. Rasheed Sulaimon was a main contributor last year, but hasn’t looked like the same player this year, especially against Arizona last week where after making his first shot, he went just 1-7. Amile Jefferson also needs to assert himself more offensively, as he has scored just 11 points on eight shots over his last five games. He also was unable to score in Madison Square Garden after losing his starting spot to Josh Hairston. Whether it’s these two players stepping up or Andre Dawkins getting more minutes, the starters can’t keep carrying the offensive burden if they expect to beat the Wolverines.

Jabari Parker Needs to Bounce Back

Parker had his worst game of the season last game against Arizona, putting up a season-low 19 points on 33 percent shooting. He also turned the ball over five times and grabbed a season-low three rebounds. It was the first time in Parker’s short but magnificent season where he struggled to put the ball in the basket. While even the best players have off nights, it is important that Parker puts this performance behind him for the Michigan game, because Duke will need him to be his usual self if they want to defeat the Wolverines. Parker will not only need to increase his offensive efficiency, but must also perform well on the defensive end and on the glass, as he will likely be spend some time guarding Mitch McGeary, one of Michigan’s most dangerous weapons.

Stop Nik Stauskas

While Stauskas may not be the most athletic opponent Duke has faced this year, he is perhaps the most polished. The 6-foot-6 sophomore is having an impressive season for the Wolverines, averaging 20.3 points per game on 50.7 percent shooting. He has also shot a solid 47.4 percent from beyond the arc and is averaging more than six attempts per game. Stauskas also does a decent job at getting to the rim if the defense overcommits to him on the perimeter. The Blue Devils need to make a collective effort in denying him good looks at the basket, as he can torch a team on any given night. Stauskas also poses a matchup problem for Duke, as he is four inches taller than the Blue Devil’s starting shooting guard, Tyler Thornton. This means Duke may have to rely on their other guards to defend him. Whoever is it, slowing down Stauskas is key to keeping their non-conference home win streak alive and staying in the top-10.

Share and discuss “The key three: Duke basketball vs. Michigan” on social media.