David Cutcliffe wins Dodd Trophy

Duke head coach David Cutcliffe was named Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Monday morning in Atlanta.

ATLANTA—Duke head coach David Cutcliffe was awarded the Dodd Trophy as national coach of the year Monday morning.

"I am honored, I am humbled—this is the most meaningful thing that has happened to me," Cutcliffe said. "I'm certainly very appreciative of our players. I wouldn’t be standing here if our players weren’t playing hard and executing and being the type of young men that they are."

Cutcliffe adds the Dodd Trophy to his laundry list of honors from a historic 2013 season. He had previously been named national coach of the year by the Walter Camp Football Foundation and the Maxwell Club, and won ACC Coach of the Year for the second consecutive season.

Cutcliffe led the Blue Devils to a 10-3 season and an ACC Coastal Division championship for the first time in program history in 2013. His Duke squad will compete in the Chick-fil-A Bowl at the Georgia Dome Tuesday night.

Among those in attendance for the award presentation was former Duke head coach Fred Goldsmith, who led the Blue Devils to their last winning season prior to this year back in 1994 and also won the Dodd Trophy.

The Dodd Trophy is named for former Georgia Tech head coach Bobby Dodd and is awarded each year to the coach who best represents Dodd's values of success on the football field and in the classroom. The Dodd Trophy also announced an enhanced partnership with the Chick-fil-A Bowl Monday morning, as the award seeks to become what former Georgia Tech head coach Bill Curry called "the Heisman Trophy of coaching."

"Coach Dodd was a man of values, and as he became a coach he became a coach of values," Cutcliffe said. "I will obviously feel very obligated to uphold everything about Coach Dodd and all these gentlemen as we move forward in this profession."

This story was last updated at 11:37 a.m.

Share and discuss “David Cutcliffe wins Dodd Trophy” on social media.