Cook, Duke basketball slow down Bruins en route to 80-63 victory

Jabari Parker led all scorers with 23 points to help Duke pull away from UCLA with a strong second-half performance.

NEW YORK—With the game tied at 45 in the second half, UCLA Jordan Adams heaved a long pass to Kyle Anderson to push a fastbreak. The previous possession, Anderson tried the same type of pass. Both times, Quinn Cook ended up with the ball. They were his fourth and fifth steals of the game.

After the fifth steal, Cook put home an acrobatic layup to give No. 8 Duke, spurring a 16-4 run en route to a 80-63 victory at Madison Square Garden. Cook's sixth steal came during that run, which was finished by a Jabari Parker slam.

Cook finished with seven steals, along with five assists and 14 points. Although not usually lauded for his defensive prowess, he also helped limit star UCLA guard Jordan Adams, who entered play averaging 21.2 points per game, to a season-low 10 points.

Jabari Parker paced the Blue Devils with 23 points on 7-for-13 shooting, including 4-for-8 from 3-point range.

Both teams fired from distance early and often, combining for 55 3-point attempts. Duke made only 11-of-32 tries from long range, and during the first half took eight 3-pointers in an eight-shot stretch.

Duke's final 3-pointer of the game was hit by Rasheed Sulaimon, who has struggled recently. Sulaimon made 3-of-9 shots but was the first guard off the bench for the Blue Devils in the second half.

Share and discuss “Cook, Duke basketball slow down Bruins en route to 80-63 victory” on social media.