ACC reads on Boston College, Tyler Lewis, Tyler Ennis, Shaq Cleare

writes on his blog

It starts with the way Steve Donahue scheduled. Donahue created a non-conference slate for his team that is more reflective of a good mid-major looking to build a resume in its non-conference as compensation for a weak conference. Clearly Donahue felt he had a team, comprised mostly of juniors and sophomores, that could face a stiff test of both home and road non-conference games. Setting aside the 2K Sports Classic and the ACC-Big Ten Challenge as scheduled "obligations," events in which BC lost to UConn and Purdue, respectively, BC has played at Providence, played UMass on a neutral court, and still has left a trip to USC, VCU on a neutral court, and a trip to Harvard. BC could lose all of these games, which would leave them with eight losses before they even jump headfirst into their conference schedule. Scheduling is such a huge part of a coach's job. Setting a team up to challenge itself, yet not come unmoored in the process, is a balance coaches have to create. Steve Donahue did not do his team any favors and, as a result, has put BC well behind the curve.
For the Fayetteville Observer, Bret Strelow takes a look at the growth of Tyler Lewis, who stepped in with Cat Barber was in foul trouble against Detroit and recorded seven assists:

Lewis entered this season as the starter of an inexperienced, overhauled team, but Barber replaced him as Gottfried made changes to his lineup after N.C. State (7-2) split its first four games. Barber performed well in the next four games, making such a difference against Long Beach State that he played the final 26 minutes.

Lewis' playing time suffered as a result. He bounced back from that disappointment and went from non-starter to closer Saturday.

N.C. State made its first substitutions with 12:44 left in the first half, after Barber picked up his second foul, and Lewis was practically on the floor for the rest of the half. He headed to the bench with 5:44 remaining, and Barber picked up his third foul 32 seconds later.

Barber started the second half and remained in the lineup until he committed his fourth foul with 13:46 left. Lewis re-entered the game and didn't leave it. The point guards played together during a 78-second stretch in the final two minutes.

"Tyler was really good tonight," Gottfried said. "They both need to be ready to play, and we need them both to play well."
At CBS Sports, Matt Norlander examines the emergence of freshman point guard Tyler Ennis, who has helped lead Syracuse to an undefeated start:

Ennis has now become the latest freshman name to earn way into the national conversation of impact first-year players. Ennis, who played on the same AAU team as Andrew Wiggins, went for 21 points, three assists and three boards in the W. On the season he's averaging 12 points, just under five assists -- and impressively committed just 11 turnovers.

He's not as flashy, athletic or freaky as guys like Wiggins, Jabari Parker and Julius Randle, but we're approaching the point -- if we're not already there -- where the case can be made he's as valuable to his team as any of the freshman phenoms.

Also remarkable? His responsible play has allowed Syracuse fans to not worry about losing Michael Carter-Williams, the sophomore point guard who left last year for the NBA. Hard to imagine Syracuse could've made this kind of transition without Carter-Williams, along with seniors Brandon Triche and James Southerland. Yet here we are.

And at The Baltimore Sun, Jeff Barker writes about sophomore Shaquille Cleare playing arguably the best game of his career in the face of criticism:

I was thinking about that as I listened to Maryland sophomore Shaquille Cleare talk to reporters after scoring 10 points (on 5-for-7 shooting) after the 66-62 victory over Florida Atlantic.

Cleare had played arguably his best game of the year. But he seemed a little burdened by previous criticism. It had seemed to wear on him. Or maybe it was Cleare being his own worst critic. It was hard to tell.
“I’m pumped about [playing well], but it’s something I was supposed to be doing from earlier in the season. It’s a little disappointing for me even though I had the 10 points because I know I’m capable of getting it every game,” he said.

Cleare didn’t want to say exactly who was criticizing his earlier performances.

“I’ve been in a slump lately and people have been saying a lot of stuff,” he said. “But it’s motivating me. Some people wrote some stuff. I don’t want to get into details about that. I can play this game. [I] just have to continue to work hard.”

The 6-foot-9 Cleare carries the burden of high expectations. He was a highly touted recruit, a big “get” for coach Mark Turgeon and his staff who had seen him impress at the Amateur Athletic Union level.

Share and discuss “ACC reads on Boston College, Tyler Lewis, Tyler Ennis, Shaq Cleare” on social media.