Virginia Tech basketball 2013-14 season preview

The Devils took down the Florida State Seminoles, previously undefeated in the ACC, Saturday at Indoor Cameron Stadium

Overall record: 13-19, 4-14 in the ACC

Head coach: James Johnson

Tenure at Virginia Tech: Second season

Career coaching record: 13-19

Home court: Cassell Coliseum

Starters: C Cadarian Raines, F C.J. Barksdale, F Jarell Eddie, G Adam Smith, G Marquis Rankin

Bench: G Adam Smith, G Marshall Wood

Overview: Ranked dead last in the ACC in preseason polls, Virginia Tech will have an uphill battle to prove themselves this year against conference opponents.

Although they are returning three starters, the Hokie offense will be seriously hindered by the loss of Erick Green, who led the entire nation with 25.0 points per game last year. In the absence of Green, head coach James Johnson will look to Jarrell Eddie to step up. Eddie had the highest scoring average among returning players, averaging 12.3 points per game in 2012-13. Eddie is also dynamite from the free throw line, shooting 84.4 percent from the charity stripe last season.

Returning to support Eddie defensively is redshirt senior forward Cadarian Raines, who led the team in rebounds and blocked shots last year. Junior forward C.J. Barksdale will also likely return to the starting lineup after he serves a suspension for the first three games for a violation of team rules.

Starter Robert Brown will not return to the team after transferring to UAB in July. In addition to the returners, the Hokies have added five freshmen to their roster in an effort to build the program. Virginia Tech's potential sixth freshman could have been its most promising, but Donte Clark was actually denied admission to the university and will play at Massachusetts this season. Don't expect the Hokies' other freshmen to see significant playing time this season—the team's starting lineup will be inexperienced but old.

One thing that needs to go right: Virginia Tech puts an end to its road woes after winning just two games away from home last season.

One thing that could go wrong: Close losses again haunt the Hokies after the team lost five games by single-digit margins last season.

Share and discuss “Virginia Tech basketball 2013-14 season preview” on social media.