Film Review: Ender's Game

Special to The Chronicle
Special to The Chronicle

Dir. Gavin Hood

Summit Entertainment
3.5/5 stars

Orson Scott Card’s novel "Ender’s Game" has finally made it to the big screen. For years, Card believed that his novel was impossible to adapt and refused to sell the film rights.

"Ender’s Game" is a polished sci-fi epic. Set in the distant future, the world and human race are in great jeopardy after a previous alien invasion nearly wiped them out for good. The humans' sole goal is to ensure that a similar assault never happens again. They are preparing leaders for the next battle against the Formics, the alien race that dominates Earth.

The humans believe that their only solution to taking out the Formics are children, since their instincts are better suited for fighting the aliens' advanced society. The protagonist, Ender, through a series of war games and virtual battle simulations, stands out amongst his peers. He is quickly recognized as the prodigy of the group and the only hope for human survival.

After such a long wait, it’s questionable whether the film holds up to the high expectations of the novel's fans. The characters help bring the film to life, however. Just as much of the future of Earth rests on Ender's shoulders, the film heavily weighs on the performance of Asa Butterfield in the titular role. Harrison Ford is excellent in his portrayal of General Graff, who prepares Ender for battle. Ford is powerful and more than a little intimidating, and he seems to have delved into the role better than any viewer would have expected.

Additionally, Butterfield and Ford have good chemistry throughout the film. There isn’t a sense of a predictable father-son mentorship, which allows the viewer to distinguish the unique characteristics each actor brings to the film. While the remaining characters fade into the background, this choice works well to keep the main focus consistently on Ender.

The film does its best to encompass a significant amount of the book, or as much as could theoretically fit into a two-hour film. While little material had to be trimmed from the novel, the movie flows well due to writer-director Gavin Hood's decisions about which scenes to include and which to omit.

Visually, “Ender’s Game” is quite appealing, though somewhat reminiscent of "Tron." The film’s cinematographer, Donald McAlpine, used contrast in an aesthetically pleasing way. The juxtaposition of bright white lights and matte black make "Ender’s Game" a visual must-see. Many scenes that appear dark and cold have a subtle pop.

Hood certainly had a challenge in taking on such a well-respected science fiction tale. Nonetheless, the film is a decent and faithful adaptation with enough visual interest to engage even those unfamiliar with the source material.

Share and discuss “Film Review: Ender's Game” on social media.