Duke women's basketball Player of the Week: Week 1

Chelsea Gray

Generic Script

StatlineSunday vs. California: 22 points, 7-of-12 shooting, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 steals in 31 minutes

Thursday vs. USC Upstate: 14 points, 6-of-8 shooting, 5 rebounds, 8 assists, and 6 steals in 24 minutes

The good: The senior guard from California came through during a homecoming appearance against the then-No. 9 Golden Bears. In her first regular season game since a season-ending knee injury last year, Gray looked comfortable on the court, leading the team in scoring against a formidable opponent. What is promising about her performances in both contests this week is simply that she looks to be returning to top form. Duke does not have a focal point for its offense with such a deep lineup, but a healthy Gray who can distribute the ball, play pressure defense and score when the team needs her is a potent weapon for the Blue Devils.

The bad: Gray still appears to be recovering from her injury and all the time off the court this summer. The impressive statlines fail to recognize that she looks slower than she did before the injury last season. Turnovers may become a problem if she cannot create the avenues for passes with her quickness.

The bottom line: This was Gray's first week of regular season play since a serious injury in which she played in her hometown against a top-ranked team and performed well under the pressure. She's not 100 percent yet, but the signs point to a promising senior season for the Blue Devils' point guard.

Honorable mention: Haley Peters had a huge game against USC Upstate, grabbing 20 rebounds and scoring 17 points in the rout. Peters can be a difference maker for this Duke team because of her ability to stretch the floor and tenacity in the paint. If she continues to shoot the ball well and make an impact by grabbing rebounds consistently, few opponents will have someone who can match up with that type of talent at the power forward position.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball Player of the Week: Week 1” on social media.