Cream of the crop: Women's basketball update

Each week, the Chronicle will report on the top teams in women's college basketball that No. 2 Duke will either play during regular season play or possibly face during the NCAA tournament. Following a victory against No. 9 California Sunday evening, the Blue Devils will not play a ranked opponent until Dec. 5 against No. 18 Purdue.

The next week will be one of the most exciting in women's college basketball, as many of the top-ranked teams will face each other for the first time this season. Though this in no way will determine post-season results, these games will set a precedent for the level of competition Duke will face throughout the season.

No. 1 Connecticut has an early test against No. 3 Stanford Monday night at Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, Conn. The Huskies' first regular season game was a blowout in which Connecticut drained 60 percent of their field goals in the contest, scoring 89 points while allowing merely 34 to its opponent, Hartford. Stanford has much to gain from the Monday night matchup with the Huskies, as the Cardinal seek to prove that they deserve the No. 2 ranking Duke currently holds. Stanford managed to beat Boston College in its first game of the season 83-71 Saturday, yet the result does not bode well for the Cardinal against the experienced and well-coached Huskies. Stanford forward Chiney Ogwumike notched 30 points and grabbed 14 rebounds in the contest. She will undoubtedly be the main scoring threat for the Cardinal this season.

The Blue Devils victory against No. 9 California should cement Duke's place as the No. 2 seed even if Connecticut falls to Stanford. The Huskies will be prepared for the Cardinal. Expect them to easily handle Stanford's offensive prowess with solid team defense and ball pressure leading to easy transition baskets. Duke will play the Huskies Dec. 17 and would not face the Cardinal until post-season play.

The other top-four team, No. 4 Tennessee, won its first contest of the season against Middle Tennessee 67-57. The Volunteers will play Duke's rival, No. 12 North Carolina, Monday night. The close win over the Blue Raiders came after the Volunteers entered halftime down 12 points. Tennessee appears to be the weakest of the top-four, and the Tar Heels are eager to prove that they are a legitimate contender in a conference with teams like Duke, No. 6 Notre Dame, and No. 8 Maryland. Though Duke will not face Tennessee during regular season play, the Blue Devils will see North Carolina twice this season. This game will have implications not only for those two games in the winter, but will also play a key role in determining the balance of power within the ACC.

Both Notre Dame and Maryland have begun their seasons with wins against unranked opponents. The Fighting Irish will play No. 20 Michigan State Monday night and should easily handle the Spartans even with the loss of star guard Skylar Diggins. Maryland, which won both of its regular season contests thus far against Central Florida and Loyola, will face its first test against Connecticut November 15. The Terrapins will be the first ACC team to have a shot at defeating the defending National Champions.

Game to watch: No. 1 Connecticut vs. No. 3 Stanford. Monday, 7:00 P.M.

Key ACC Matchup: No. 8 Maryland vs. No. 1 Connecticut. Friday, 6:00 P.M.

Upset Alert: No. 12 North Carolina over No. 4 Tennessee. Monday, 9:00 P.M.

Share and discuss “Cream of the crop: Women's basketball update” on social media.