Collins talks Northwestern, Scheyer, Chicago, Johnny Dawkins

The Chronicle wrote about the city of Chicago and Duke's strong ties with the city that include Coach K, Jabari Parker, Chris Collins, Jon Scheyer and more

On his first win as a head coach:

"When you’re out there for real you realize it’s not just a dream anymore: You’re really doing this. It was great, lots of family and close friends. There was a good atmosphere at the gym and everybody was excited, and that made it really a great night. Obviously when you look back it’s something you’ll always remember.”

On Jabari Parker and Chicago:

“He’s going to be emotional. He’s such a legend in Chicago. He’s going to have a lot of people at the game. He’s a young player.”

On his recruitment of Scheyer:

"Being able to recruit Jon was really special for me because it kind of brought me full circle, being from the same high school. I had known his family since he was 5-years-old. I knew Jon’s parents and Jon used to come to my high school games. I followed him as he grew up and became such a great player. He and I obviously hit it off right away because we had such a similar path: same school, same area, same type of game. We had so much in common, and we both love basketball, and to be able to go back to my school and recruit a player from my high school where every time I’d go there I’d get really emotional because it’d bring me back to all the hard work I did as a kid that has let me to be in the position I’m in."

On his upcoming matchup Thursday against Stanford, coached by former Duke basketball player and associate head coach Johnny Dawkins:

"It’ll be great to see him. He’s got a really great team and it’ll be a tough game for us. It’s such a tight fraternity and bond with all of us. Johnny and I worked together for eight years, and he’s a great friend of mine and somebody I know that I can count on for everything."

Share and discuss “Collins talks Northwestern, Scheyer, Chicago, Johnny Dawkins” on social media.