Watch List: Lilly Basement

For even the most iron-hearted amongst us, there is always an invariable constant which never fails to bring shudders, chills and sometimes even cries of agony—schoolwork. Perhaps more pronounced for the droves of freshmen who flock to East Campus's Lilly Library every weekday is the terror invoked by studying in a cold, windowless, white-walled room. Indeed, the dim lighting and drab scenery in the basement of Lilly Library make it one of the most ominous spots on East Campus.

Constructed in 1902, Lilly was originally Trinity College's main library. Upon the completion of West Campus, it became the Women’s College Library, and later the East Campus Library, before being renamed Lilly in 1990. While it has gone through a slew of names, its unchanging halls have haunted generations.

Walking down a steep, narrow flight of stairs into the bowels of the library, students encounter portraits of mostly-deceased Duke alumni lining the hall.

“The middle aged man with stalker-ish glasses is kind of unnerving at 1 a.m.,” freshman Neil Patel said.

The ambiance doesn't become any more inviting upon entering the four study rooms in Lilly's basement. The walls are a stale, faded white and the harsh lighting is reminiscent of that of a hospital. Massive wooden tables, chipped at the sides and dotted with gum underneath, await the heavy textbooks and tired heads.

“As unnerving as the basement is... I’ll probably be coming here for the rest of this year,” Patel said.

Share and discuss “Watch List: Lilly Basement” on social media.