Kevon Looney now to announce at 3 p.m. on Milwaukee radio

Update (12:30 p.m.): The plans for Kevon Looney's announcement continue to change.

After scrapping his original plan and slating his announcement for 3 p.m. EST on Milwaukee ESPN Radio, Looney will once again reveal his college choice from his Milwaukee Hamilton High School gym at 2 p.m. EST.

Twitter Tweet

What has been dubbed by many as the strangest recruitment in the history of college basketball just got a little weirder.

Original (12:06 p.m.): Some have called Kevon Looney's recruitment strange, and it only got odder this morning, right before Looney was set to announce.

Looney's announcement was supposed to be at noon at his high school, but now it will apparently be at 3 p.m. EST (2 p.m. CST) on Milwaukee ESPN Radio.

First, Looney tweeted that the hiccup was the WIAA, the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association:

Twitter Tweet

But here are subsequent tweets from reporters covering the announcement, who are saying the plug was pulled by high-school administrators:

Twitter Tweet

Twitter Tweet

Twitter Tweet

Twitter Tweet

The Journal Sentinal has more details, speaking to Looney's father:

The Milwaukee Hamilton basketball standout was scheduled to hold an 11 a.m. press conference at the school to announce his college choice. Instead, the press conference was cancelled by the Milwaukee Public School district, Kevon’s father, Doug, said.

He said he was told by the district that “everything hadn’t been vetted and we can’t have students’ pictures in any type of publication without them signing on.”

I’m not totally sure what goes into MPS’ vetting process, but last month when the Journal Sentinel did a story on former Milwaukee Washington basketball standout Calvin Rayford, a teacher in MPS, the students in his class had to have a form signed by their parents in order to appear in a picture the newspaper planned to take. That might be part of the problem.

What bothered Doug Looney was the timing of the matter. This announcement has been in the works for weeks.

“I don’t mind being told no,” he said. “I’ve been told no my whole life. They called me at 8:30 (this morning) and told me no.”

So, stay tuned until 3 p.m. Theoretically, at least.

Share and discuss “Kevon Looney now to announce at 3 p.m. on Milwaukee radio” on social media.