Duke basketball 2013-14 player preview: Rasheed Sulaimon

Leading up to Duke basketball’s first game of the season Nov. 8 against Davidson, The Blue Zone will preview all the expected contributors on this 2013-2014 squad, beginning with the freshmen Monday and ending with the seniors and grad students Friday.

Rasheed Sulaimon

Generic Script

• Year: Sophomore
  • Height: 6-foot-4
  • Position: Guard
  • Last year's key statistics: 11.6 PPG, 3.4 RPG and 1.9 APG, 33 starts

Game breakdown: Sulaimon was not ranked the No. 12 ranked player in his class heading into college last year for no reason. He is a skilled scorer, lockdown defender and a calmly intense presence on the court. Sulaimon has grown as a player since stepping off the court following an exit from the NCAA Tournament in the Elite Eight. He played with the U.S. Men's U19 National Team at the World Championships this summer and was a solid contributor to the team's championship effort. Sulaimon has the winning experience to provide some intangibles to this Duke squad as it learns to play together.

Sulaimon poses a threat on all aspects to the opposing defense. He can drive to the basket easily and finish hard at the rim. If the defender plays back to prevent the drive, Sulaimon can pull up from beyond the arc and drain perimeter shots. He can become a nightmare defensively for opponents especially when left open around the 3-point line.

Sulaimon can become a leader on this team not only in terms of scoring but in terms of effort. He is a ruthless, athletic defender who can match up with many of the top guards in the country. His intensity on the court seems to rub off on his teammates. Sulaimon has the skills to score and shutdown opposing guards, but his ability to lead by example and play hard throughout the game may be what sets him apart for the remainder of his collegiate career.

Role on the team: Sulaimon was a consistent starter for the Blue Devils last season, providing both defensive intensity and scoring capability. This team has much more depth and experience at the guard position than last year's squad, which leads to Sulaimon having to fight for playing time and scoring opportunities. The quickened pace and pressure defense that fans had the chance to see during exhibition play against Bowie State Saturday will certainly complement Sulaimon's style of play. The lineup of Sulaimon, Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood, Quinn Cook and Amile Jefferson will be a routine combination for Duke this season because of its athleticism and scoring ability. With Hood and Parker on the wings, Sulaimon may handle the ball more and be forced to shoot open shots from the perimeter. His scoring may vary game to game with so much talent on the bench this season, but he will be a major contributor this team in terms of experience, intensity, and at times scoring. Though his starting job doesn't appear locked up, Sulaimon will get his minutes regardless of whether he starts or comes off the bench.

Player comparison: The role Sulaimon might play this season is yet to be determined, but with Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood on the wings consistently scoring in double figures, he may become Duke's x-factor. If he plays with the confidence he showed at times last season, Sulaimon can be eerily reminiscent of James Harden during his time with the Oklahoma City Thunder. Though Sulaimon will likely start most games, his ability to spot up from the perimeter and cut to the basket is much like Harden, who played third wheel to Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. Again like Harden, Sulaimon could end up being the primary ball handler when starting point guard Quinn Cook is on the bench, which allows Sulaimon to be more of an offensive threat. Sulaimon won't be a superstar the way Harden is in Houston, but he will be a key player for Duke this season.

Projected statline: 13.5 PPG, 4.0 RPG, 2.5 APG, 35 games started

Check back tomorrow for previews of Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee.

Players we've already previewed: Jabari Parker, Matt Jones, Semi Ojeleye

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2013-14 player preview: Rasheed Sulaimon” on social media.