Watch List: Saladelia

A comfortable distance from the hustle of the center of Duke’s West Campus, the Sanford School of Public Policy offers not only a palliative change for the overworked Duke student, but also a new eatery—Saladelia.

Most Duke students know of the Saladelia Café chain for its various locations around Durham or the vital role it plays in providing caffeine boosters and brain food at the Von der Heyden Pavilion in Perkins Library.

The new Saladelia provides a middle ground between the wide variety of menu items offered at the main Saladelia locations and the condensed “Yum on the Run” menu offered in Perkins. With sandwiches, wraps and salads prepackaged daily, any student can find a fresh meal in a matter of minutes. Many items are gluten-free, vegetarian or vegan, catering to the dietary needs of most Duke students and employees.

Saladelia owner Fida Ghanem wrote in an email that she and her husband, co-owner Robert, pride themselves on 25 years of “simple and honest food prepared with fresh, local and seasonal ingredients.” She added that the food can be prepared quickly to accommodate the fast pace of Duke life, and encouraged students to enjoy the new restaurant on campus.

Chuhang Yin, a second-year graduate student in economics, noted that the lack of crowds at Sanford initially drew her to the study spot, although Saladelia is an added bonus.

“I actually prefer to work [in Sanford] instead of the library. There is always lots of space to work and it is never hard to find outlets," she said. "Plus, now there is always a great meal close by.”

The next time you are yearning for a new venue in which to study, a quality coffee drink, a breakfast panini or a healthy lunch, the new Saladelia will have fresh food waiting for you.

Share and discuss “Watch List: Saladelia” on social media.