Leaders discuss annual campout at GPSC meeting

The annual basketball campout for graduate and professional students will begin Friday at 10 p.m.

This year, due to restrictions on the areas of the Blue Zone parking lot that can be dedicated to the event, fewer RV spaces were given out this year, Basketball Committee Co-Chair Patrick Killela, a fifth year pathology PhD candidate, announced at the Graduate and Professional Student Council meeting Tuesday evening.

“We had over 110 RVs register, but we only had 50 spots to give,” Killela said.

Campout—which is traditionally the single largest gathering of Duke’s graduate and professional students each year—is a 33 hour event that concludes with students being entered into a lottery to buy season passes for men’s basketball. On average, approximately 2,000 students compete for 725 ticket opportunities.

Similarly to the tenting process in Krzyzewskiville, during Campout, participants must be present for tent checks. During the event, students have the opportunity to compete in a basketball shootout, watch the Duke football game against The University of Memphis and sing karaoke.

New sound restrictions are being implemented to avoid disrupting President Richard Brodhead’s house and the surrounding community, Killela said.

Campout officially begins at 10 p.m. on Friday and concludes at 7 a.m. on Sunday.

In other news:

Tuesday’s meeting marked the first of the year for GPSC.

“The executive committee has been working really hard this summer to start this year off with a bang,” Vice President Shannon O'Connor, a fifth-year PhD/MD candidate in biomedical engineering.

She highlighted the accomplishments made by the GPSC general assembly in the past year, noting an increase in student activities fee and new GPSC bylaws.

President Amol Yadav, a fourth-year PhD candidate in biomedical engineering, said that he hopes to focus on improving off-campus housing options for graduate students.

Share and discuss “Leaders discuss annual campout at GPSC meeting” on social media.