Clubs, collisions and the universe

A university is its own small universe. It consists of forces and bodies colliding with one another, fusing and morphing to create vast networks of people and groups simultaneously contained in their own space and connected to a whole. These connections and networks form in classrooms and labs as students explore ideas together. They also, and perhaps more importantly, form in clubs, teams and social groups, with students banding together around common interests, passions and projects.

Each year, freshmen scramble to enter this universe, often signing up for much more than they can handle. The abundance of non-curricular groups and activities tempts students to over commit, but it also offers them a way to deepen their connection both to others and to the University. Clubs and other groups allow us to build and strengthen friendships, learn new skills, work on meaningful projects and supplement academic work.

Different students approach their involvement with clubs and groups in radically different ways. Although we acknowledge this diversity of approaches, we offer one framework for thinking about how extracurricular pursuits can complement and engage with other aspects of college life.

First, we resist the idea that students ought to know exactly how each element of their collegiate experience will fit into their life plan. Straying a bit from that plan and deliberately ignoring strategy leaves us open to possibilities we may not have considered otherwise. The perceived status of a group or the weight a club association might add to a resume is very rarely a sufficiently good reason to join a club or group.

The injunction not to instrumentalize college has been repeated so often at Duke as to become painfully trite, and yet many of us remain inveterate credential seekers. We therefore encourage students, particularly freshmen, to take risks and to sample. You have neither to wed yourself to the clubs you first join, nor to limit yourself to the groups represented at the activities fair. Club commitments ebb and flow as circumstances change, and extra-curricular can mean extra-Duke. Opportunities to form meaningful connections exist in Durham and at the other colleges in the area, and experiences gained in those communities will find their way back to the Duke universe when you return, enriching relationships here.

Extra-curricular can also mean anti-curricular. Clubs and groups, though wonderful when they complement academic activities, can and should also supply us with moments of solace, time for reflection and space for foolishness.

Joining a club or group is also an excellent way to form friendships. Sharing a common interest or working together to create something new can connect people in profound ways. Students who cling too tightly to their group identity, however, risk cutting themselves off from the rest of the University, unwisely trading the richness of diverse associations for the safety of familiar groups.

Duke is a vast universe and one that no student can explore completely. We hope, however, that those new to Duke will seize on the opportunities that accompany such a dense collection of students and scholars. College is about colliding with others, not just whizzing by them.

Share and discuss “Clubs, collisions and the universe” on social media.