Wake Forest football preview

The Demon Deacons threw away a hot start last year, winning just two of their last eight games and dropping each of their final three games by more than 30 points, including a 38-0 trouncing at the hands of Notre Dame.

Wake Forest returns eight starters on each side of the ball, but the biggest concern will be sparking an offense that finished 117th in the nation in points scored last season and only eclipsed 28 once all year.

In 2012, signal caller Tanner Price averaged 5.6 yards per pass attempt, which ranked 112th nationally. The senior has experience but will need some improvement from the porous offensive line.

The running game, led by senior John Harris, who racked up 608 yards last season, and Deandre Martin, who tacked on 484 yards, could get a boost from four freshmen, two true and two redshirts, who all may be asked to make an impact for this young backfield.

Perhaps in need of even more improvement is the special teams unit, a group that finished last in the ACC in field goal percentage, field goals made and kickoff returns. The Demon Deacons hope sophomore kicker Chad Hedlund will boost the production there.

On the defensive side though, Wake Forest’s prospects are brighter. Returning cornerback Merril Noel, the 2011 ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year and Nikita Whitlock, an all-ACC nose tackle.

Share and discuss “Wake Forest football preview” on social media.