SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke men's soccer 2013 season preview

The Devils took down the Florida State Seminoles, previously undefeated in the ACC, Saturday at Indoor Cameron Stadium

The Scoop: After scoring only 20 goals in 18 games last year, the Blue Devils need to galvanize their offense and hope to do so with position changes and a strong incoming freshman class. Their entire back line remains intact, but Duke will need to adjust to a transfer goalkeeper.

Key Players: Goaltender Alex Long—A transfer from South Carolina, Long boasts an extensive resume, but replacing recent graduate James Belshaw, who anchored Duke’s defense for the last four years, will be difficult.

Forward Brody Huitema—Huitema is the face of the freshman class, and is being touted as the difference maker in strengthening the Blue Devils’ offense. He’s no fluke so far—he notched a goal and assist in his first exhibition match Friday.

Defender Sebastien Ibeagha—The reigning ACC Defensive Player of the Year, Ibeagha was also the team’s leading goal scorer in 2012. Duke’s co-captain was named to the MAC Hermann Trophy watch list, awarded to the top soccer player in the nation.

Games to watch: Sept. 20 vs. No. 24 Syracuse, Sept. 27 at No. 16 Notre Dame, Oct. 4 vs. No. 4 North Carolina

Prediction: Sixth in the ACC, NCAA tournament first round

Share and discuss “Duke men's soccer 2013 season preview” on social media.