Watch List: The Blue Devil

Named after “les Diables Bleus,” the now iconic mascot stems from the skilled French soldiers known for helping break the stalemate in World War I and their flowing capes and jaunty berets. In need of a pithy way to describe the University’s athletes and fans, editors of The Chronicle decided on “the blue devils” after failed attempts at a democratic selection and began using the tag in articles—and so the Blue Devil of today was born. Although the current mascot has retained the cape of the original soldier’s uniform, the headware, sadly, did not make it through.

Cruising on a surfboard over his marching band colleagues, few would guess all that comes with being the living, breathing embodiment of Duke’s school spirit.

“I couldn’t love it more than I do—it’s probably the coolest thing that’s ever happened to me, probably in my life,” the Blue Devil said. “I love this place to death and it’s just an absolutely awesome way to serve my school and give back.”

Along with perks like getting to chest bump basketball players, to rub elbows with Duke basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski and to have varsity athlete status, are a share of struggles and adjustments. Before every game, the Blue Devil loads up on water to stay hydrated in the mascot suit when cheering on the crowd for several hours.

“It’s just the first few times you do it, it nearly kills you…. I’m very used to it now,” he said.

A huge basketball fan, this particular Blue Devil also noted that keeping his secret has been hard given his reputation as a huge basketball fan but his lack of appearances at games. Through the years, he confesses to having spelled many a fable about his all access passes and fictional employment gigs in sports marketing. One of the advantages of being the Blue Devil, he added, is that as one of the only male cheerleaders, he has gotten ample practice being the “utmost gentleman.”  

The students who share the responsibility of donning the Blue Devil suit go through a two-month long tryout and trial process before being notified whether they have been selected. Students interested in trying out should be on the lookout for information at the beginning of the Fall semester. 

“Once I graduate, it will probably be something that I will talk about all the time,” the Blue Devil said.

Share and discuss “Watch List: The Blue Devil” on social media.