Students should stay politically engaged

In most cases, getting arrested is frowned upon. But arrest for reasons of political activism—as in the case of several Duke professors—merits commendation and a certain amount of admiration.

As reported by The Chronicle, several professors were arrested while participating in the “Moral Mondays” movement—a campaign to peacefully protest bills put forth by the General Assembly that would make drastic changes to North Carolina. Among the policies catalyzing such protest are new voting laws that could significantly restrict Duke students’ ability to vote. For example, a requirement to present valid North Carolina photo identification and stop same day registration during early voting. Such laws could disproportionately affect students at Duke—as a private institution, student ID cards may not qualify as a valid voter photo ID. And with 89 percent of the student population coming from out of state, many students rely on same-day voting to cast their ballot on an issue that could drastically shape their experience at Duke.

The consequences of these voting restrictions extend beyond the ballot box—unable to participate in the voting process, students could lose their ability to weigh in on social policies with as much importance as Amendment One in 2012. These restrictions exemplify the dire need for political activism and awareness.

The proactivity and determinism of the Duke professors who have been arrested for voicing their civil dissent should serve as examples for students and the broader Duke community. Not only have they demonstrated their conviction that the legislature is “pursuing a totally wrong direction” with its policies, but they have challenged the community to become engaged in these important matters. The old adage of leading by example certainly applies to these professors.

Certainly, we are not suggesting that all students get arrested—to do so would be neither reasonable nor effective. In an ironic sense, getting arrested could be considered a luxury of the wealthy—not everyone can afford the hefty sum to be bailed out of jail. And for risk-averse students in particular, an arrest could mar an otherwise spotless resume.

Although arrest occupies one extreme on the spectrum of civil disobedience that students may need to avoid, we urge students to adopt the spirit of activism underlying such arrests. During the school year, it is all too easy for students to justify their political illiteracy with claims of being engrossed in their studies and activities. Even now, with Duke students occupying all corners of the planet during the summertime, staying aware of the political happenings in North Carolina may be challenging.

Staying informed, however, is essential—the General Assembly continues to debate and pass policies throughout the summer. These laws could significantly influence the students’ lives when they return to campus in the Fall. For these reasons, we urge students to set aside some time this summer to actively voice their opinions, be it in support or opposition of the state legislature. Or, at the least, we urge students to eschew complacency and stay updated on the state’s political activity.

Share and discuss “Students should stay politically engaged” on social media.