Duke should keep Central Campus in mind

This summer, Central Campus is receiving its last upgrades for the next decade. Although we commend the University for making necessary renovations to the run-down apartments, the University should continue to keep Central Campus in mind going forward, as there are many changes that still remain to improve the often neglected campus.

Central Campus apartments were originally built as temporary housing in the 1970s and remained in dilapitated conditions until the University chose to upgrade them Summer 2010. Such renovations included the creation of Devil’s Bistro and Mill Village, as well as structural and internal upgrades. Although such renovations have helped improve the state of Central Campus, there is still more that can be done to create a thriving and more comfortable campus environment.

In 2006, the Board of Trustees approved a strategic plan that was intended to completely redevelop Central Campus. The renovations were expected to take decades, but the first phase of the plan—slated for completion in 2009—would have added residential and academic space. The strategic plan envisioned Central Campus becoming an “academic village,” as faculty and students would come together on a campus that included academic and living spaces, similar to West Campus. The economic downturn in 2008, however, made this reality nothing more than a dream—the University settled on the necessary upkeep of Central Campus, a $14 million expedenture, instead of their grand vision, which totaled $350 million. 

The vision the Univesity had for Central Campus in 2006 was a bold and promising move in the right direction. Including academic space for departments on Central Campus would create a bustling and thriving atmosphere, rather than the current stagnant environment of students trekking to Central only to disappear into their living quarters. Such an atmosphere could decrease the sense of isolation students living on Central Campus feel, as both West and Central Campus would become places for a thriving academic and social life throughout the day.

We understand why such a grand and costly vision could not be executed in the aftermath of the economic crisis, however we question why the University chose to abandon the plan altogether. In a recent Chronicle article, Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta noted that the University had to give different projects priority, and such grand Central Campus upgrades did not make the cut.

However, Central Campus should be considered a priority by the University’s standards. Students have complained of living conditions on Central Campus in the past, and although such issues have been addressed by the minor upgrades this summer, students should not feel like they are living on the “lesser” of Duke’s campuses. Duke Forward, the University’s largest capital campaign to date, is dedicating 40 percent of the campaign’s goal—about $1.3 billion—to the undergraduate experience overall. Major renovations to Central Campus would contribute to a better undergraduate experience, yet none of the money raised, so far, will be used to make any major changes to the quality of life on Central Campus.

Administrators should continue to keep Central Campus in mind as they pour money into projects that they deem as more important.

Share and discuss “Duke should keep Central Campus in mind” on social media.