Jon Scheyer returning to Duke basketball as a special assistant "close to a done deal"

According to a tweet from Jeff Goodman, former Duke basketball player Jon Scheyer is close to returning to his former team as a special assistant. Scheyer currently plays pro ball in Spain for Gran Canaria.

Nate James had been the special assistant on staff, but reclaimed his role of assistant head coach when Chris Collins left to become the head coach at Northwestern. Scheyer was close with Collins and spoke to us about relationship with him, explaining why he thinks Collins will be a good head coach.

Generic Script

Two weeks ago, when Scheyer was asked if he were interested in coaching one day?

"I do one day. That's always been my plan after playing. It's hard for me—right now I'm in the season trying my best to finish up strong. But it's always been on my mind that one day I want to be a coach," Scheyer said.

In regards to the Duke spot?

"It'll be interested to see what happens with that... [long pause] I just got off the phone with Coach K and he offered me the position," Scheyer joked at the time.

Scheyer led Duke to the 2010 national championship as a senior, averaging 18.2 points and 4.9 assists per game.

Scheyer then suffered a serious eye injury in the NBA Summer League that sidelined him for a few months. Although he eventually was invited to a training camp and played for the Houston Rockets' D-League team, he never made an NBA roster.

Last year, Scheyer played for Maccabi Tel-Aviv in Israel before departing to play in Spain this year.

Share and discuss “Jon Scheyer returning to Duke basketball as a special assistant "close to a done deal"” on social media.