Beyond the arc: Duke basketball vs. Louisville

No. 2 seed Duke's season has come to a close in the Elite Eight against the overall No. 1 seed Louisville, one game shy of a Final Four appearance in Atlanta, GA. The Blue Devils, who were unable to compete with the Cardinals intense defensive effort and strong guard play, held leads in both halves but were unable to hit key shots for the majority of the second half.

Revisiting the three keys to the game:

• Will Gorgui make the difference?: The simple answer was yes.  Dieng was a force to be reckoned with the entire game despite encountering foul trouble in the second half. He ended the game with 14 points, 11 rebounds, and contributed to Louisville's nine blocks. His presence was palpable on both ends and allowed the Cardinals to press up on Duke's guards throughout the contest. Dieng did seem to make the difference.
  • Get Quinn Cook involved: Cook played well for Duke, but could not match the quickness of Peyton Siva and Russ Smith on the defensive end. He finished the game with 12 points and five assists turning the ball over merely once in the contest. Duke could not respond to Louisville's pressure on the defensive end and Cook was out-played by the Cardinals backcourt. He did not dictate the pace of the game and control the tempo of the Blue Devils' offense. Duke suffered the costs of playing the game the way Louisville wanted-frenetic and fast-paced.
  • The amount of fouls called: Both teams were called for 23 personal fouls in the contest respectively. Most of the starters for both squads experienced some foul trouble,  but it was how Louisville responded to this foul trouble and the loss of sophomore guard, Kevin Ware, to a gruesome injury that made the difference in the game. Duke played timid, and the Cardinals took advantage of every opportunity especially near the basket on offense.

Three key plays:

• 6:33, first half: Sophomore guard Kevin Ware attempted to contest a 3-pointer from Duke's Tyler Thornton and experienced a gruesome leg injury while landing. Louisville was visibly shaken which could have proven devastating. However, the injury galvanized the sizeable Cardinal crowd and gave them momentum going into the half.
  • 16:18, second half: Mason Plumlee scored a monstrous dunk after Gorgui Dieng attempted to draw a charge in the post from Duke's big man. The basket tied the game at 42, but Louisville responded by rattling off a 24-6 run to take control of the game.
  • 8:48, second half: Louisville's Luke Hancock hits a big three-pointer to put the Cardinals up 16 late in the second half. After a frenetic possession in which Duke's defense held strong, Louisville was still able to score. This play sealed the game for the Cardinals deflating any hope the Blue Devils had in pulling out a win.

Three key stats:

• 35 rebounds for Louisville: The Cardinals commanded the paint grabbing 10 offensive boards in the game. When Louisville did not hit its first shot, one of its players often secured the rebound for a second-chance opportunity. The Cardinals had nine more rebounds than Duke showing its superior depth in the paint made a significant impact in the game.
  • Louisville's 52.7 percent shooting percentage: The Cardinals shot the ball well especially because they were able to get high-percentage shots in the paint and on the perimeter. The Blue Devils' defense was not strong, and Louisville took advantage of any holes on the perimeter or in the paint.
  • Duke's 11 turnovers: Louisville's defense caused Duke to scramble even when bringing the ball past half-court. The Cardinals were able to press up on Duke's ball handlers with ease knowing that if they were beat, Dieng and Chane Behanan would be waiting in the paint. It was not simply how Duke turned the ball over frequently in the game, but how Louisville dictated the tempo of play with ease.

And the Duke game ball goes to... Mason Plumlee. In the last game of his collegiate career, Plumlee was the Blue Devil's key contributor on both ends of the floor. He notched 17 points and grabbed 12 rebounds in the contest. Plumlee had the best game out of Duke's three seniors, but his contributions were not enough to propel the Blue Devils to a victory.

And the Louisville game ball goes to... Russ Smith. Smith had a monstrous game for Louisville leading the Cardinals in scoring with 23 points. He was able to do whatever he wanted on the offensive end, driving past his defender and getting to the basket with ease. His ability to attack the rim was crucial for Louisville throughout the game.

Share and discuss “Beyond the arc: Duke basketball vs. Louisville” on social media.