Duke vs. NC State ACC Tournament Live Updates

Duke 79, NC State 65 (Final): NC State began fouling Duke early with 1:37 left in the half.  The Blue Devils made their free throws down the stretch to extend their lead as the Wolfpack failed to convert on the offensive end.  When NC State tried to press, Duke calmly broke it down to convert easy layup opportunities.  Duke extended its lead to double-digits and cycled in the bench for the final minute of play.  Chloe Wells hit a layup in the final seconds to seal the victory for Duke.

Generic Script

Duke 69, NC State 62 (1:38 second half): Tricia Liston hit a crucial 3-pointer to extend Duke's lead to seven with a little under three minutes left in the game.  Duke and its crowd have become revitalized on both ends of the floor.  The Blue Devils have started to fin an offensive rhythm making open shot opportunities.  Gatling fouled out on a layup attempt by Williams leaving the Wolfpack without a dominant inside presence for the final two minutes of play.

Duke 60, NC State 57 (3:19 second half): Duke has played with a renewed sense of urgency fighting for rebounds and shots in the post.  NC State has not backed down and continues to respond to the Blue Devils.  Duke has begun to press and trap with limited success, but the intensity has improved the quality of half-court defense.  Duke continues to attack the basket with mixed results.

Duke 58, NC State 57 (5:12 second half): Duke regained the lead with strong play from Williams and Liston shooting in the paint and from beyond the arc.  The Blue Devils have picked up their defensive effort and are playing with a greater sense of urgency  on the court.  Game remains hard fought and close.

Duke 53, NC State 55 (7:36 second half): NC State has taken the lead from Duke with strong defense and timely shots.  Duke appears to have no offensive gameplan as the game has quickly become an intense battle for both sides. The Blue Devils have been unable to hit open 3-pointers or establish a post presence.  NC State has taken the momentum from Duke and finding a way to hold a slim lead.

Duke 49, NC State 49 (11:36 second half): NC State has surged to tie the game at 49 with Duke's offense and defense lacking fluidity and movement.  The Blue Devils appear to be flustered by the Wolfpack's energy and have been unable to respond so far in the half.  The crowd for NC State has come alive supporting the Wolfpack and the team has responded well.  Duke will need to improve its offensive approach which is not getting open shots at the moment.

Duke 47, NC State 42 (15:46 second half): Slow start to the half for both teams, yet NC State's intensity allowed them to cut the lead to four two minutes into the half.  The Wolfpack have found holes in Duke's zone defense and have hit their open shot opportunities.  The Blue Devils have been able to respond with timely shots from Alexis Jones despite the lack of post presence from Elizabeth Williams or Haley Peters.

Duke 42, NC State 33 (halftime): Tricia Liston hit a big three to put the Blue Devils up seven with 1:30 left in the half.  After a defensive stop, Liston hit a mid-range jumper on the subsequent possession putting Duke up nine going into the final minute of play.  Duke's defensive effort has improved since the game began  The Blue Devils ended the half on a small run to go into the half with a small, yet comfortable lead. Liston and Jones leading the way for Duke with 14 and 12 respectively.  Gatling is the leading scorer for NC State with 12.  Three point shooting has been the key for the Blue Devils who have shot 8-12 from beyond the arc.

Duke 37, NC State 33 (2:08 first half): Duke and NC State have been trading blows with big shots from both sides from beyond the arc.  Duke's zone defense has limited any shots in the paint, but the Wolfpack have responded hitting a pair of threes to keep the game close.  The Blue Devils have lacked intensity on both ends of the floor and have been unable to pull away so far in the game.  NC State has responded to every small run Duke has made.

Duke 27, NC State 23 (7:01 first half): Marissa Kastanek and Markeisha Gatling lead the Wolfpack in scoring with eight points each.  NC State has responded to Duke's early run and taken the momentum away from the Blue Devils.  Despite their size and superior rebounding, the Blue Devils have not shot the ball well settling for 3-pointers against the zone defense.  Williams has been effective when she gets the ball in post so far.

Duke 23, Virginia Tech 17 (9:35 first half): Alexis Jones and Tricia Liston got the scoring started off the Duke with the Blue Devils first 13 points of the game.  Coach Joanne P. McCallie has cycled through her lineup playing eight players so far as Duke has lacked competitive intensity thus far.  NC State dropped into a zone defense to defend the paint but has been burned by Liston and Richa Jackson among others from beyond the arc.

Pregame: We’re live from Greensboro Coliseum for the 2013 ACC Women's Basketball Tournament as No. 5 Duke (27-2, 17-1 in the ACC) gets set to take on NC State (16-15, 7-11) at 2 pm.

Jones and Liston leading the way early for Duke.  Liston with 9, Jones with 7-all team's points until Wiliams layup at 13:30 mark.

Share and discuss “Duke vs. NC State ACC Tournament Live Updates” on social media.