Duke vs. Hampton NCAA Tournament First Round Live Blog

Duke 67, Hampton 51 (final): Duke maintained its near twenty-point advantage to close the game as the toll of a physical game and a small lineup showed on Hampton's players.  Duke's depth and strength ultimately prevailed as the Blue Devils survive the first round of NCAA Tournament play.  Duke will play either DePaul or Oklahoma State who tip-off immediately following the Blue Devils game Tuesday.

Duke 60, Hampton 46 (3:31, second half): Elizabeth Williams size has allowed her easy opportunities in the post against much smaller defenders especially in transition.  Duke has capitalized on its size focusing the offense on post play from Peters, Williams, Richa Jackson, and Allison Vernerey. The Pirates look defeated as Duke's size and strength has out-played them on both ends of the floor.

Duke 56, Hampton 42 (5:10, second half): The Blue Devils have responded well to Hampton's run shocking the Pirates who appear tired.  Duke's physicality on both ends of the court has worn down the Hampton defense translating to the Blue Devils regaining a double digit lead in the contest. Key basket for Duke from Haley Peters and Elizabeth Williams allowed Duke to regain control of the game.

Duke 48, Hampton 40 (7:59, second half): Hampton narrowed Duke's lead down to six with a layup in transition.  Both teams continue to fight as this game has quickly become a struggle to survive to the next round of the tournament.  The Blue Devils have looked confused and disjointed on offense at times and continue to turn the ball over.  The Pirates crowd has become raucous as their team has slowly narrowed Duke's lead. Elizabeth Williams post basket put Duke back up eight and swung the momentum back to the Blue Devils.

Duke 46, Hampton 36 (11:28, second half): The Pirates have played with a renewed sense of urgency slowly clawing their way back into the game. Duke continues to attack the basket and fight for loose balls in response, but has failed to convert on offense. The Blue Devils' miscues have brought renewed energy to Hampton and its fans.

Duke 40, Hampton 25 (15:08, second half): Hampton struck first with a long two-pointer, but Duke responded with a three from Tricia Liston.  The Blue Devils have battled hard for rebounds and continue to press on defense.  Both teams have traded baskets and fouls as the pace of the game has increased.  Liston scored her 1000th point on a three-pointer from the wing to put Duke back up 15.

Duke 32, Hampton 15 (end of first half): The Blue Devils have begin to find rhythm on the offensive end while their defense has remained consistently strong. Liston and Jones have each notched seven points with Williams leading the way in scoring for Duke with 12. Duke's superior size has not dampened the Pirates intensity on both ends of the floor. Some key stats from the first half: Hampton has shot 21.2 percent from the floor while Duke has shot 40.6 percent thus far.  Both teams have grabbed 23 rebounds a piece even though the Pirates are a shorter squad overall in comparison to the Blue Devils.

Duke 28, Hampton 13 (3:32, first half): Alexis Jones continues to spark Duke's offense pushing the ball in transition.  The Blue Devils have shot 40.7 percent from the floor but have been able to hold Hampton to 22.2 percent to maintain a consistent lead. Duke has slowly begun to pull away from the Pirates with a big three-pointer from Tricia Liston as well as baskets from Jones and Williams.

Duke 20, Hampton 11 (6:55, first half): Elizabeth Williams has missed multiple shots in the post allowing Hampton to have more opportunities to decrease the Blue Devils lead.  Duke's defense is what has kept them in the lead thus far, despite the struggles to make open shots on the offensive end. The physical toll of the game has been evident especially for the Pirates whose players look worn with the fast-paced action especially forward Ariel Phelps who limped off the court at the media timeout.

Duke 16, Hampton 8 (11:15, first half): Hampton has showed energy on both ends of the court cutting to the basket hard and earning multiple layup opportunities.  The Blue Devils have responded with a zone-trap press that gained two steals for Duke and a couple baskets. Alexis Jones has been stellar so far with four points, two assists, and a rebound.  Duke is slowly extending its lead over the Pirates with strong defensive play while getting out-rebounded early 10-9

Duke 8, Hampton 4 (15:48, first half): Hampton, propelled by a spirited crowd, notched the first basket of the game, but Duke has quickly responded with consecutive baskets from Alexis Jones and Haley Peters.  This may be one of the most intense games the Blue Devils have played in all season with each team scratching for every loose ball.  Duke's defense has been strong despite some early miscues on offense.

Pregame:

Duke begins its NCAA tournament play at Cameron Indoor Stadium, as the No. 2 seeded Blue Devils get set to take on the No. 15 Hampton Pirates. Follow the link for a preview of today’s matchup as the Blue Devils look to play in Final Four.

Starters

Duke: G Alexis Jones, G Tricia Liston, F Richa Jackson, F Haley Peters, C Elizabeth Williams

Albany: G Nicole Hamilton, G Olivia Allen, F Ariel Phelps, F Keiara Avant, F Alyssa Bennett

Tip-off is set for 12:05 p.m. Stay along here for analysis of the game and follow on Twitter for more frequent updates.  Cameron Indoor is rocking as Hampton fans have taken over the student section courtside.  The atmosphere is electric as Duke begins its quest to reach the NCAA Championship in New Orleans.

Share and discuss “Duke vs. Hampton NCAA Tournament First Round Live Blog” on social media.