Duke lacrosse beats Marist, wins 4th straight game

Jordan Wolf scored four goals and tallied three assists in Duke’s 19-11 win against Marist.

After a disappointing start to the year, it appears Duke has finally found its midseason form.

Marist was no match for the No. 13 Blue Devils, who came away with a 19-11 win Monday at Koskinen Stadium. With the victory, Duke (6-4) has now won its last four games and in the process handed the Red Foxes (5-1) their first loss of the season. All four of Duke’s victories came in a span of 10 days.

“I don’t know that any other Division I program has taken on that type of challenge in their schedule. But it’s something that our guys have to learn to do if they want to play in meaningful games down the line,” Duke head coach John Danowski said. “We were delighted with our progress individually and collectively, and we look forward to a day off.”

Despite its dominant performance for most of the game, Duke conceded the game’s first goal just 2:50 into the contest when midfielder Drew Nesmith found the back of the net for Marist.

But the Blue Devils did not trail for long. Junior attack Jordan Wolf responded for Duke less than two minutes later. Blue Devil freshman Deemer Class had his pass deflected down, but Wolf was able to scoop up the loose ball despite two converging Marist defenders and shimmy his way down the center of the defense for the equalizer.

Wolf’s goal began a 7-1 run for the Blue Devils to take control. The junior finished with a game-high seven points on the evening, netting four goals to go along with three assists. Nine different Duke players found the back of the net in the contest.

“It’s just a testament to our offense—I was fortunate enough to be in the right spots,” Wolf said. “We’re moving the ball really well, we’re sharing it and spacing really well.”

Midfielder Jake Tripucka was one of Duke’s key distributors during the run, threading the needle to open teammates for two easy scores and adding a goal of his own.

But the true catalyst of the run was midfielder Brendan Fowler, who appeared unstoppable at the faceoff X. Fowler won 20-of-26 draws for the Blue Devils on the evening and provided his team with a distinct advantage in possession throughout. Duke’s advantage at the faceoff X could also be attributed to its wing play, which Danowski said was the strongest he had seen all year.

The Red Foxes were able to string together four consecutive goals in the second quarter to cut the deficit to 7-6. Fatigue may have set in for Duke during this stretch, as the team was held scoreless for 10:30.

David Lawson broke the Blue Devils’ scoreless drought when he juked by the goalie for an easy score with 1:18 remaining in the first half. Lawson then helped Duke beat the first half buzzer when he caused a turnover, sprinted the length of the field and found Wolf for a laser in the upper-right corner with two seconds remaining.

“We talk about how important it is to make your teammates look good,” Danowski said. “Dave Lawson gets all the credit for a 60-yard sprint and putting the ball right on his teammate’s stick.”

The Blue Devils added two early second half goals, which spelled the end for Marist. Duke never held an advantage smaller than four goals for the rest of the contest.

The Blue Devils’ fourth consecutive victory gives the team momentum heading into its weekend showdown with Georgetown. It also marks the fourth straight victory in goal for sophomore Kyle Turri, who made his first start in the Blue Devils’ win against defending national champion Loyola 10 days ago.

Turri had not started a game this season before taking over for struggling senior Dan Wigrizer, who went down with an injury after Duke dropped to 2-4 with a loss to No. 1 Maryland. Turri recorded eight saves for the Blue Devils on the evening and continues to provide his team with energy on the defensive end.

“He’s ready. He was ready,” Danowski said. “Kyle over the last several weeks has matured before our eyes.”

Share and discuss “Duke lacrosse beats Marist, wins 4th straight game” on social media.