Around the triangle: Week 16

As Duke continues to play catch-up with Miami in the hunt for the ACC title, lets have an overview of how the rest of the Triangle teams fared this past week.

NC State (19-8, 8-6)

February 19: Florida State 66, NC State 84

Led by freshman T.J Warren’s career game, unranked NC State handily defeated Florida State to further their chances of making the NCAA tournament. Warren had 31 points and 13 rebounds for his first career double-double, one of the three Wolfpack players to reach double figures. C.J Leslie added 19 points and 10 rebounds while senior Scott Wood scored 14 and with three three-pointers on the night, Wood became just the second player in NC State history to surpass 300 baskets from beyond the arc. Lorenzo Brown had nine assists and Richard Howell added eight points and seven rebounds.

February 23: NC State 65, North Carolina 76

In a reversal from the last time these two teams met, North Carolina outlasted NC State in a close contest despite the best efforts of seniors Richard Howell and Scott Wood. Howell had his 16th double-double of the season while Wood led the Wolfpack scoring with 19 points on 7-14 shooting with five three-pointers. The game was very tight with nine lead changes occurring and in the end it was the Tar Heels who were able to pull away for a big win. C.J. Leslie's six point performance—3-for-8 from the field, 0-for-4 from the stripe—stands out as a reason for this loss.

Analysis: In a mixed week for the Wolfpack with a win and a loss, the rest of the season becomes critical for NC State as they seek to make the NCAA tournament and secure a first round bye in the ACC tournament. They will have to win most if not all of their remaining games to make this happen but the team looks very well set to do so. Their shooting has been good all season and with Scott Wood’s recent torrid shooting from beyond the arc, there’s a very good chance this team could end the season on a roll.

Upcoming: Feb 27 vs. Boston College; Mar 3 at Georgia Tech

UNC (19-8, 9-5)

February 19: North Carolina 70, Georgia Tech 58

The unranked Tar Heels had a comfortable win over Georgia Tech on the road. They were led by a very impressive James Michael McAdoo, who had a double-double with 22 points and 11 rebounds. Leslie McDonald added 15 points off the bench while guard Dexter Strickland chipped in with seven assists. The Tar Heels shot only 38 percent but were still better than their opponents in that they were able to make clutch plays to keep their lead and eventually out last the Yellow Jackets. The UNC backcourt of Strickland, P.J. Hairston, and Marcus Paige combined to shost a brutal 6-for-28 from the field, contributing to that unsightly 38 percent.

Reggie Bullock and James Michael McAdoo led North Carolina to a win over unranked NC State. The unranked Tar Heels shot 44 percent from the floor, with Reggie Bullock scoring 22 points along with 13 rebounds and McAdoo adding 14 points. Marcus Paige had 14 points and eight assists in a big win for the Tar Heels as they moved ahead of N.C. State in the ACC standings. Strong shooting and clutch defense separated them from the Wolfpack and eventually got them the win.

Analysis: A big win over NC State sees the Tar Heels leapfrog the Wolfpack in the ACC standings and vastly improves their chances of making the NCAA tournament. Their main scorers all season have been Bullock and McAdoo and these two will have to continue to produce at an elite clip so that North Carolina don’t see their chance to qualify for the March tournament disappear.

Upcoming: Feb 28 at Clemson; Mar 3 vs. Florida State

Share and discuss “Around the triangle: Week 16” on social media.