Around the triangle: Week 15

The highlight of the week was Duke’s emotional comeback win over hated rivals North Carolina but there were other games played by Duke’s Triangle counterparts and here’s a quick rundown of this week’s action.

NC State (18-7, 7-5)

February 16: Virginia Tech 86, NC State 90

Unranked NC State finally won a close game as they survived after the Hokies tied the game in regulation. The Wolfpack pushed ahead in overtime by making seven of their last eight free throws to edge Virginia Tech in an ACC thriller. Scott Wood led the Wolfpack with 22 points by going 6-11 from beyond the three-point line. Five other players reached double figures as part of a balanced offensive attack, highlighted by Richard Howell’s 10 points and 16 rebounds as well as C.J. Leslie’s 16 points and nine rebounds. Somewhat shockingly, N.C. State committed just 12 total fouls in the overtime contest—compared to 28 fouls called against the Hokies.

Analysis: Since beating Duke, NC State had won just four of nine games and were quickly fading, making a win this week all the more important. They did just that—albeit in very tenuous circumstances—and they strengthened their bid for a place in the NCAA tournament. This team has all the individual parts—two dominant big men in Howell and Leslie, a standout passer in Lorenzo Brown, and a three-point maestro in Scott Wood—so it’s just the matter of them all clicking together that will ultimately define the Wolfpack season.

Upcoming: Feb 19 at Florida State; Feb 23 at North Carolina

UNC (17-8, 7-5)

February 13: North Carolina 68, Duke 73

North Carolina looked to be in complete control most of this game, until Duke raised its game to another level and surged ahead in front of a raucous home crowd. P.J. Hairston and Reggie Bullock carried the torch for the Tar Heels, combining for 38 points and 16 rebounds in the contest. James Michael McAdoo, after a successful first half, ended the game with just nine points on 4-of-12 shooting. Woeful production at the free throw line—13-for-23—may have been the difference in this showdown between rivals.

February 16: Virginia 81, North Carolina 93

North Carolina was led by P.J. Hairston, whose career high 29 points tore apart a Virginia team, who coming into this game had the second best defense in the nation—allowing just 52 points a game. Hairston and Marcus Paige, who scored 17, led the unranked Tar Heels as the team hit 13 three-pointers and shot 58.5 percent from the floor to pull away from the Cavaliers in the second half after ending first half tied at 40 points apiece. James Michael McAdoo grabbed 10 rebounds and Dexter Strickland dished out six assists as North Carolina bounced back from their loss at Cameron Indoor.

Analysis: North Carolina is still not guaranteed a spot in next month’s NCAA tournament and so every win it picks up will be vital. The team has good depth but the lack of a regular go-to man in clutch situations has effected their games this season. Perhaps P.J. Hairston's recent torrid performance is for real, and he can propel this team into the tournament. As long as James Michael McAdoo and Reggie Bullock continue their strong seasons, this is a team to take very seriously if they do manage to make it to the dance next month.

Upcoming: Feb 19 at Georgia Tech; Feb 23 vs. NC State

Share and discuss “Around the triangle: Week 15” on social media.