Around the triangle: Week 14

Duke exacted some home revenge on NC State and with it should return to the No. 1 ranking, but the Wolfpack still had another game to play this week. North Carolina has been in and out of the title talk all season and this week was another mixed bag for them. Lets have look at their performance this week.

NC State (17-7, 6-5)

February 7: NC State 85, Duke 98

One of the nation’s top shooting teams couldn’t out-shoot No. 4 Duke as the unranked Wolfpack fell to their ACC rivals. The ballgame was definitely a game of two halves, as in the first half NC State looked lost and bereft of any ideas, as they were outscored 58-37. The Wolfpack were a different team when they came out of the half. Led by Richard Howell and C.J. Leslie, NC State made 10 of their first 12 shots and cut the deficit to single digits before Duke prevailed. Howell had 23 points and nine rebounds before fouling out while Leslie added 16 points and six rebounds before doing the same. Freshman guard Tyler Lewis had 13 points and six assists.

February 10: NC State 58, Clemson 57

NC State had a thrilling finish, as they beat Clemson on a last second three-pointer from Scott Wood in a game they trailed most of the way. For the first time in a long time, the Wolfpack found itself on the right side of a close game, snapping a three game losing streak in the process. Richard Howell led all scorers with 16 points while also grabbing 11 rebounds, once again forming a formidable duo with C.J. Leslie, who scored 12 points and added 10 rebounds. The Wolfpack struggled form the field in this one, shooting just 37.7 percent. Lorenzo Brown returned from injury to play 32 minutes and score 15 points.

Analysis: NC State has begun to fade after a great start to the season, with Miami emerging as the surprise ACC title contender. Even if the ACC title seems out of reach, the Wolfpack have the talent to beat any team on any given night. In Howell and Leslie they have a dynamic frontcourt presence and the freshman T.J. Warren, Rodney Purvis, and now Tyler Lewis have stepped up often this season. With Lorenzo Brown back in action, expect N.C. State to improve before the tournament next month.

Upcoming: Feb 16 vs Virginia Tech

UNC (16-7, 6-4)

February 7: Wake Forest 62, North Carolina 87

James McAdoo and Reggie Bullock combined for 43 points in a 87-62 demolition of the Demon Deacons. Bullock had 23 points and McAdoo 20 as the Tar Heels showcased how good their offense really can be with a convincing offensive performance. It was a classic perimeter-interior partnership as Bullock shot 80 percent from beyond the arc, leaving McAdoo to control the paint. North Carolina shot over 50 percent from the field, but their free throw shooting was a low 56 percent. P.J. Hairston continued to impress off the bench, scoring 11.

February 9: North Carolina 61, Miami 87

Unranked North Carolina was a handed a reversal of what it exacted on Wake Forest as No. 8 Miami shot a school record 15 three-pointers in a 26 point blowout of the Tar Heels. A couple of days after a great offensive showing against the Demon Deacons, North Carolina was lackluster against a well-drilled Hurricanes unit. Both their go-to scorers—Reggie Bullock and James McAdoo—were kept in check, tallying just 14 and six points respectively. North Carolina entered the game scoring an ACC best 79.1 points per game but were held to just 61 by a high-tempo Miami defense. McAdoo and guard Marcus Paige were the main culprits in the Tar Heels' poor shooting, combining to hit just four of 21 attempts.

Analysis: It’s a matter of how much experience and chemistry this team can develop for next season. This season seems to be a transitional one and while it’s been promising and they still could earn a tournament bid, it hasn’t been good enough to warrant serious title consideration. Inconsistency has plagued this team all season long and it has shown no signs of abating. James McAdoo's star has faded and now he may consider staying next season, as will Reggie Bullock. This combined with a good draft class should be able to put the Tar Heels back into title reckoning soon. Up next is a visit to Duke to face the Blue Devils and the mighty Cameron Crazies.

Upcoming: Feb 13 at Duke; Feb 16 vs. Virginia

Share and discuss “Around the triangle: Week 14” on social media.