Duke wrestling grabs a home win against Appalachian State

Duke opened its new home at Card Gymnasium with a bang, thwarting Appalachian State 24-15. Prior to this season, the Blue Devils competed at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

The match had a little extra meaning for Duke (3-5), which was dismantled by the Mountaineers (6-4) last season 29-6.

“Last year those guys really took it to us,” head coach Glen Lanham said in a press release.

Things looked glum early for the Blue Devils, when redshirt freshman Michael Chapman lost a decision and Appalachian State’s Dominic Parisi pinned redshirt senior Peter Terrezza, giving the Mountaineers a 9-3 lead.

In between those bouts, Brian Self tied the match at three apiece before Parisi’s pin put the Mountaineers back up six.

“[Brian] Self is a warrior,” Lanham said.

After the pin, though, the Blue Devils stole the show.

Redshirt freshman Marcus Cain and redshirt sophomore Immanuel Kerr-Brown posted back-to-back major decisions to push Duke ahead 17-9.

Kerr-Brown’s performance was instrumental in giving the Blue Devils the momentum needed to carry the team to the victory. A big takedown of Appalachian State’s Aaron Scott in the waning seconds of the match gave Kerr-Brown an 11-2 lead and secured a major decision for him.

“I thought our guys wrestled hard and that’s all that we can ask,” Lanham said. “I’m fired up and excited about that we wrestled hard.”

Share and discuss “Duke wrestling grabs a home win against Appalachian State” on social media.