Around the triangle: Week 11

Duke rebounded from its first loss of the season to NC State with a victory over Georgia Tech, but the Wolfpack couldn't build off its big win this week. Meanwhile, the Tar Heels may be coming into their own after a convincing win over Maryland.

NC State (15-3, 4-1)

January 16: NC State 50, Maryland 51

No. 14 NC State was upset on a last second put-back by Maryland as they lost their first ACC game of the season. Maryland sophomore center Alex Len tipped in the ball with 0.9 seconds left after Pe’Shon Howard’s missed shot to clinch the victory. The Wolfpack were led by Lorenzo Brown’s 17 points, eight rebounds and four assists while junior C.J. Leslie’s 13 points – his 13th consecutive double digit scoring game. NC State was doomed in this one thanks to its atrocious 31.1 percent shooting from the field and 58.3 percent free throw shooting.

January 20: Clemson 62, NC State 66

After a roller-coaster of a last two games, NC State was nearly shocked by the 10-7 Clemson Tigers. The stand out player for NC State was freshman T.J. Warren, who scored 21 on 9-of-11 shooting, paired with six rebounds. He was complemented by Richard Howell’s 10th double-double of the season, tallying 11 points and 12 rebounds.

Analysis: NC State gained national attention with their upset of then-No. 1, but last week the nation’s top shooting team was not at its best offensively and this resulted in two tight games that could have gone either way. However, the Wolfpack has already proved its title credentials and these may just be minor bumps for them as their core of Howell, Leslie and Brown has more than adequately been complemented by the freshmen Warren and Rodney Purvis. Warren is making his case for the ACC Rookie of the Year and NC State looks set to be Duke’s main challenger for the ACC title.

Upcoming: January 22 vs. Wake Forest; January 26 vs. North Carolina

UNC (12-5, 2-2)

January 19: Maryland 52, North Carolina 62

Reggie Bullock led unranked North Carolina to a win over ACC foe Maryland in the Tar Heels' only game of the week. Bullock had a career high 24 points and he alone outscored Maryland in the first half 21-20. He was supported by a double-double from James Michael McAdoo, who had 19 points and 11 rebounds in a dominant performance. On the downside, the Tar Heels shot only 35.4% from the field, though they were given a boost by the Terps making just one of their 12 attempted three-pointers.

Analysis: This season was billed a rebuilding season of sorts for North Carolina as it recovers after losing four starters to the NBA last season, and to their credit, the Tar Heels haven’t given up on the season. McAdoo looks to be a fine player and Reggie Bullock has been a consistent source of points. UNC's only issue is that both Duke and NC State have better rounded rosters and more experience, something that should eventually prove to be the difference in the race for the ACC title. So while North Carolina will remain in the ACC picture, they can’t at this point be viewed as title contenders simply because of the other Triangle teams being superior.

Upcoming: January 23 vs Georgia Tech; January 26 at NC State

Share and discuss “Around the triangle: Week 11” on social media.