Wake Forest basketball preview

2011-2012 Record: (13-18, 4-12 in the ACC)

Head Coach: Jeff Bzdelik

After compiling a 21-42 record in his first two years at the helm of the Demon Deacons, head coach Jeff Bzdelik will lead an almost entirely new team in 2012-13. Trying to turn the program around, Bzdelik’s roster features ten freshman alongside just two seniors and one junior.

Two of those freshmen—6-foot-3 point guard Codi Miller-McIntyre and 6-foot-6 small forward Arnaud Moto—have the potential to become impact players immediately. Miller-McIntyre will be given control of the offense, and Moto, a native of Cameroon with a 7-foot-1 wingspan, will look to provide a strong presence on defense and the perimeter.

Don't miss any of the previews, features, opinion and analysis in our 2012-2013 ACC basketball preview

Most important to Wake Forest’s success, however, will be the leadership of senior shooting guard C.J. Harris—a third-team All-ACC selection in 2011-12—and junior small forward Travis McKie. Each averaged more than 16 points per game last season, but for the Demon Deacons to improve on their 4-12 ACC record from last year, both will have to take on greater roles to lead the young team.

One thing that needs to go right: Returning starters Harris and McKie must effectively incorporate the incoming freshmen in the offense.

One thing that could go wrong: Moto, Miller-McIntyre and the rest of the freshmen class will not be able to develop into a cohesive team in time to hold their own in the ACC.

The starting five: small forward Arnaud Adala Moto, power forward Travis McKie, center Tyler Cavanaugh, shooting guard C.J. Harris and point guard Codi-Miller-McIntyre.

Projected finish in the ACC: 10th

Share and discuss “Wake Forest basketball preview” on social media.