Embrace debate, reject violence

Last Thursday, a Duke Students for Justice in Palestine event was interrupted when a senior destroyed the replica West Bank barrier and flipped over a table of Palestinian food DSJP was offering to passersby.

This incident is extremely serious for two reasons. First, violent or threatening behavior on a college campus is never acceptable, and no student should ever feel he has a right to endanger or intimidate another. It tears at the fibers of a safe community. Second, violence is perhaps even more atrocious when it is used to intimidate a group that is presenting a viewpoint it rightfully holds, however controversial. The impact of such a senseless and cowardly act is not trivial: It threatens to disrupt free intellectual discourse on campus, one of the University’s most vital features.

The DSJP incident closely follows another troubling incident of intellectual persecution. A freshman who publicly opposed Duke’s affirmative action policy earlier this month was significantly harassed as a result. Although the editorial board gives resounding support to affirmative action, we were nevertheless shocked and appalled to hear that this student was subjected to yelling and banging on his bedroom door because of the views that he held. Numerous comments on The Chronicle website attacking his character rather than his arguments were equally unacceptable.

Students attend Duke for a number of reasons. One important benefit—if not the most important benefit—of attending Duke is that we expose ourselves to a wide range of people and thus a variety of values and backgrounds. Although disagreement and debate will inevitably ensue, it all helps further important discourses rather than stifle them. In 2004, Duke allowed the conference of the Palestine Solidarity Movement to take place, despite widespread criticism from students and the public, citing its long-standing commitment to academic freedom of expression. The ideas and membership of this group were controversial, but the University’s response principally affirmed its commitment to the unfettered circulation of ideas. Students benefit from having their beliefs challenged—hearing opposing viewpoints engenders deeper thinking and more sophisticated positions. Violence and intimidation severs that process in an ugly way.

Two recent incidents—the DSJP and affirmative action flare-ups—do not necessarily constitute a trend, but Duke can be a place where unpopular opinions are subtly stifled on a daily basis. If the surprisingly high number of Romney supporters in the student election poll tells us anything, it’s that there are many more Republican-identifying students than would like to publicly share their political affiliation. People with opinions that do not conform to popular thinking face an inevitable struggle. Although the editorial board endorsed Barack Obama and supports affirmative action, we also deeply respect the right of people with minority views to express their views without intimidation, physical and social. Of course, students who voice unpopular opinions should prepare for some strong reactions, which can help propel discussion forward. But under no circumstances should students have to prepare for harassment. We implore the Duke community to show respect for individuals, even if not for the specific points of their arguments. A well-structured rebuttal is far more compelling than an overturned table.

Share and discuss “Embrace debate, reject violence” on social media.