Duke volleyball looks to bounce back against Virginia foes

Looking to rebound after a tough loss to Wake Forest Tuesday, Duke faces two ACC opponents on the road this weekend.

The Blue Devils (11-10, 2-7 in the ACC) will face Virginia (6-14, 0-9) Friday at Memorial Gymnasium before taking on Virginia Tech (11-8, 4-5) Saturday at Cassell Coliseum.

Although Duke has struggled in ACC play this season, the team has experienced much success against both Virginia and Virginia Tech in recent memory. The Blue Devils have won 13 straight matches against the Cavaliers dating back to October 2005 and are 24-2 all-time against the Hokies.

Virginia snapped an eight-match losing streak Tuesday with a 3-2 victory against James Madison. The Cavalier attack is led by junior Tori Janowski, who has recorded a team-high 177 kills on the season. To counter, Duke will rely on the defensive prowess of libero Ali McCurdy, who is the ACC’s leader in digs and totaled 27 in Tuesday’s loss to Wake Forest.

The Hokies have cooled down considerably since their 11-4 start, dropping four consecutive matches in ACC play. They will face Wake Forest Friday before taking on the Blue Devils. Virginia Tech will rely heavily on sophomore middle blocker Kathryn Caine, who ranks third in the ACC with a .420 hitting percentage.

Following the road trip, Duke will return to Cameron Indoor Stadium next weekend for home matches with in-state rivals North Carolina and N.C. State Friday and Saturday.

Share and discuss “Duke volleyball looks to bounce back against Virginia foes” on social media.