Week 4 Football: Around the ACC

Duke football (3-1) is on the rise and off to its best start since 2008, defeating Memphis 38-14 on homecoming Saturday.  Here’s a recap of the other games around the ACC, highlighted by No.10 Clemson taking on fellow top-10 opponent Florida State.

Virginia Tech 37, Bowling Green 0

After a heartbreaking, 35-17 loss against Pittsburgh last week, Virginia Tech came back with a vengeance to steam roll Bowling Green State, with immaculate performances by Logan Thomas, who engineered an offense that totaled 246 rushing yards, and the defense, which managed to keep the Falcons out of the end zone.  After a 21 point surge in the second quarter, the Hokies ran away with a 37-0 win.

No. 8 West Virginia 31, Maryland 21

With fewer than 50 rushing yards and three turnovers, it does not come as much of a surprise that Maryland had a difficult time holding off West Virginia on Saturday in Morgantown.  Both teams relied heavily on their passing game, however, the Mountaineers’ aerial assault derailed the Terrapins’ efforts, handing them a 21-31 loss.

No. 17 TCU 27, Virginia 7

Coming off of a painful loss last week, this was, yet again, not a good showing by the Cavaliers.  The Horned Frogs’ balanced attack overwhelmed the Virginia defense, handing the team a 27-7 loss.  The Cavaliers scored their first touchdown with just over four minutes left in game, a testament to how Virginia was truly out matched on all fronts.

Wake Forest 49, Army 37

The Demon Deacons emerged as the overwhelming winner in a hard-fought game against Army on Saturday.  Wake’s 296 rushing yards helped open up the field for Tanner Price to pass for 221 yards. After being down 21-23 at the half, the Demon Deacons went on a 21 point surge in the third quarter. The final touchdown in the fourth quarter led them to their best offensive game in three years.

Miami 42, Georgia Tech 36

These two ACC teams, both coming off of victories last week, stayed neck-and-neck for the entire game, both exercising the strongest parts of their game: Miami with 436 passing yards and Georgia Tech with 287 rushing.  A defensive miracle prevented the Yellow Jackets from scoring on fourth and inches in overtime, and was followed immediately by Miami running back Mike James’ 25 yard touchdown run, giving Miami a 42-36 win.

UNC 27, East Carolina University 6

The Tar Heels had an easy time with the Pirates, crushing them 27-6.  An astounding performance by Bryn Renner gave the Tar Heels 321 passing yards, while the defense kept the Pirates out of the end zone all game.

North Carolina State 52, Citadel 14

After losing to Tennessee in the season opener, the Wolfpack have rolled off three straight victories, including this convincing 52-14 win over Citadel.  NC State had a commanding 35 point halftime lead, setting them up for an easy victory.  Missing the three top running backs on the depth chart gave Wolfpack freshman running back Shadrach Thornton the chance to run for 145 yards in his first career game.

No. 4 Florida State 49, No. 10 Clemson 37

It looked as if Clemson was well on its way to a victory with a 14-point lead early in the third quarter. The Tigers were able to put up 426 yards against the Seminoles’ top ranked defense. However, led by E.J. Manuel, Florida State rattled off 35 second half points to claim a victory over a fellow top-10 opponent.  The Seminoles are emerging as national contenders for the first time since the Bobby Bowden era.

Share and discuss “Week 4 Football: Around the ACC” on social media.