Nothing free for Plumlee

Instead of basking in Duke’s 61-58 victory with teammates in the locker room and speaking to the press about how the No. 8 Blue Devils overcame tenacious first-half defense to beat the No. 16 Virginia Cavaliers, Mason Plumlee practiced foul shots. After playing 33 grueling minutes guarding one of the premier candidates for ACC player of the year, Mike Scott, Mason Plumlee practiced foul shots.

He had 10 tries from the charity stripe during the game that had concluded only moments before. He only made two.

Despite his woes at the line—that seemingly get worse every game—Mason’s performance in the second half of the game secured Duke’s victory. He did it by setting the tone for the Blue Devils on the offensive and defensive ends in the game’s final 20 minutes.

“Mason was unbelievable in that second half,” head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. “His verve, his resolve to go to the basket­—I know he missed free throws—but he was such a key guy for us.”

After finishing the first half with a four-point deficit and Mason notching just three points and two rebounds, Duke emerged from the locker room with a clear game plan—feed the post.

On their first possession, Mason bullied his defender, the 7-foot Assane Sene, for a bucket in the paint. This was after Sene, a pedestrian defender despite his size, limited the Blue Devils to 10 points in the paint in the first half.

Between Mason, Ryan Kelly and Miles Plumlee, the Blue Devils continually kept the ball in the paint, eventually drawing double teams and opening up the perimeter game that had been non-existent. Going 4-of-5 from the field with five rebounds in the second half, Mason created opportunities for himself and his teammates.

“When we’re hitting the ball inside, our whole offense is more aggressive,” Miles said. “Especially their defense, with the way they pack it in, if we can get it inside, Mason is a great passer.”

Complementing Mason’s offensive performance in the second half was his superb effort on the defensive end, shutting down Scott, who had torched Duke in the first half, finishing that period with 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting. Krzyzewski told Mason and Miles Plumlee in the locker room that containing Scott—who Krzyzewski heaped with praise after the game, calling him one of the best players in the country—was a matter of being more physical.

“We just needed to play him straight up,” Miles said. “We can play defense, I know myself and Mason, we wanted to get after him and play him one-on-one.”

Scott ended with 23 points after failing to generate any sort of offensive rhythm in the second half, going 3-of-9 from the field in the final period of play. Mason stuffed Scott under the hoop with 7:51 remaining in the second half, after which Scott did not register another field goal.

The physical play clearly took its toll on Scott as the game wore on. Getting pushed around on both ends and needing to be examined by trainers briefly in the second half after being hit in the face, Scott looked beaten in the game’s final minute. With the Cavaliers down by three on their final possession, the 6-foot-8 forward bricked a three from the corner, nailing the side of the backboard.

That was not the Scott of the first half, who was nailing jump shots with ease as Duke failed to physically contest him.

The credit belongs to both Plumlee brothers, both of whom spent time guarding him. Miles’ success did not translate to the stat sheet, but he and his brother were a relentless duo on both ends of the floor. The pair were on the court together for about four-and-a-half minutes in the second half, during which the Blue Devils saw their lead rise by six.

“The Plumlees I thought were the keys to the game [with] their physicality,” Krzyzewski said. “I thought we played better defense on Scott and that was both Mason and Miles.”

Mason’s presence on both ends of the floor is what turned this game around for Duke.

Hopefully for the Blue Devils, with Mason’s extra time practicing at the foul line, his impact will put games out of reach, instead of just barely putting them over the top.

Share and discuss “Nothing free for Plumlee” on social media.