Duke outsizes Quakers in 2012 debut

The Blue Devils opened up 2012 with a bang Sunday, cruising past Pennsylvania 85-55 at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Miles and Mason Plumlee exploited an undersized Quaker front line en route to a combined 20 points and 21 rebounds, and Ryan Kelly added 18 points and 12 boards in the victory.

Freshman Quinn Cook effectively fed the big men all game, racking up a career-high nine assists in 22 minutes off the bench.

Zack Rosen paced Pennsylvania with 11 points on 5-for-13 shooting, adding four assists, three steals and a block. The Quakers, though, who entered the game averaging over one-third of its points from beyond the arc, were held to just 2-of-13 shooting from 3-point range.

Duke opened the game on a 14-2 run, extending the lead to 26-11 with 10 minutes left in the first half, paced by Ryan Kelly’s three 3-pointers. After a lengthy stretch of back-and-forth play, the Blue Devils went on an 8-0 run at the end of the half to take a 44-26 lead at the break.

Pennsylvania struggled to contain Duke’s post players early in the second half, racking up seven team fouls in the first third of the period. The Blue Devils never looked back, consistently adding to the lead over the final 10 minutes of the game.

Duke will take on Temple in Philadelphia Wednesday in its final preparation for conference play.

Share and discuss “Duke outsizes Quakers in 2012 debut” on social media.