The 70th anniversary of the Durham Rose Bowl

When Wisconsin kicks off against Oregon today in the 98th Rose Bowl, it will mark 70 years since the annual game was forced to temporarily leave its Pasadena roots. In the aftermath of the Dec. 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, the bowl game was initially canceled before Duke head coach Wallace Wade offered to host the contest in the relative safety of the stadium that now bears his name.

As the No. 2 team in the country, sporting an undefeated record and a potent offense that outscored its opponents by an average of 30 points per game, the Blue Devils were selected for the Rose Bowl by Pac-10 opponent Oregon State. Duke was reportedly the No. 12 Beavers' fourth choice, after No. 1 Minnesota, whose conference did not allow postseason play, Fordham and Missouri.

In preparation for the game, the University borrowed extra bleachers from North Carolina and N.C. State to expand stadium capacity from 35,000 to 55,000.

The Blue Devils entered the Rose Bowl as a two-touchdown favorite, but the game was a defensive struggle from the start, favoring the visitors. Oregon State had racked up five shutouts on the regular season—winning four of its last five games by a combined 85-0—yet had only scored 20 points twice.

Both teams overcame the rainy conditions to trade first half touchdowns, but the Beavers came out with an aerial attack in the third quarter. Oregon State broke the 7-7 tie with two scores, including a 68-yard reception by Gene Gray. Duke was down just 20-14 entering the fourth quarter after a rushing touchdown, but recorded just a safety in the final period as the offense stalled several times at midfield. Oregon State also came up with two timely interceptions, eventually winning the game 20-16—the Blue Devils' second Rose Bowl loss in four years.

Share and discuss “The 70th anniversary of the Durham Rose Bowl” on social media.