Stress, stress and more stress

It’s the most wonderful time of the academic school year, a time characterized by Dukies pulling several all-nighters, yawning for the millionth time and gulping their third cup of coffee. For others, it is the time to finally use the reading period as an excuse to look like walking ghosts on campus. We all know the stress involved during reading period is unbearable. Our brains are not only working ‘round the clock, but our body parts are also fighting each other. At times, it even feels as if parts of our body are trying to secede from us through several aches, headaches, allergies, etc.

It is imperative that we get some rest as we power our way through these arduous final three days of the Fall semester. I always try to avoid taking naps, even though sometimes it’s impossible. Dismally, my naps turn into unexpected prolonged hours of sleep that reduce my productivity. I’d rather allow my body to go through a period of physical unrest. By doing so, I stay on track, even if it means working at a slow pace!

Juxtaposing my studying habits during the reading period last year with this year, I plan on changing a lot of things. Firstly, I fully intend on having a well-rested night before the reading period commences. I need to function well without killing myself. I need to utilize restraint with less-periodical checks of social networking sites. I check them way too much and it’s a big distractor from getting things done. I plan on using positive reinforcement by allowing myself to check these networks after studying intervals.

Although I don’t always get work done outside of the library, Perkins is my worst enemy! It stresses me out every time so that just the sight of it drives me crazy. Piling more stress on myself is not the way to go. Whenever I go to Perkins, it takes me quite sometime to get settled down. Plus, finding a study space during this time of the year is simply ridiculous. I always end up doing something else rather than studying anyways, and that doesn’t help.

I’m not sure if you’re like me, but I am the kind of individual who needs music to study. There is always that urge to listen to something that can get me in the zone. A little mix of The Black Eyed Peas’ “Gotta Get That” and some of Lady Gaga’s “Edge of Glory” won’t hurt right? As I cram study guides and type numerous essays, I might as well jam to some music to get motivated. I’ve always found that I work best in atmospheres that fit me. I love seeing some comrades act abnormally in the library while getting their academic grind on!

Despite the long nights of studying, it’s safe to say that the undergraduate reading period is a time for assessing how far we have come as students. Preparing for final exams allows us to see how far we are from reaching a set goal. After months and months have passed by, it all comes down to three days that determine everything. Three days where, we some of us would either feel good or bad about ourselves. For those of us, who didn’t learn a lot in some classes, maybe we’ll hopefully be able to pick up a few things that we missed or ignored!

With the large amount of unstructured time you’ll have, be careful with the decisions that you eventually make. I am sure you wouldn’t want all your semester’s worth of hard work to be in vain. There’s a time for everything and, even though we Dukies love to have fun, it’s certainly not the time to abuse alcohol or drink in an extreme fashion. Using Adderall to improve brainpower should never be the route. Just like any drug, you can get addicted and we know where that goes.

Whatever your routine is, try stick to it, but feel free to change it so as to stimulate your mind. Obviously don’t pull an all-nighter the night before your exam—that’s simply dumb—you wouldn’t function well because your memory recollection will be a disaster!

You’ve got this in the bag, so get ready, set and go!

Tegan Joseph Mosugu is a Trinity sophomore. This is his final column of the semester.

Share and discuss “Stress, stress and more stress” on social media.