Krzyzewski is SI Sportsman of the Year

Krzyzewski was honored as Sportsman of the Year in part for breaking the NCAA Division I men’s basketball coaching wins record in November.

It is becoming a season of firsts for Mike Krzyzewski.

Just months after becoming the only active Duke coach to be inducted into the University athletics Hall of Fame, and weeks after breaking the all-time NCAA Division I coaching wins record, men’s basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski has become the first Blue Devil to win Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year award, the magazine announced Monday. He will share the award with Tennessee women’s basketball head coach Pat Summitt, who has been named Sportswoman of the Year.

“It’s a great honor—with Pat Summitt as well,” Ryan Kelly said. “That’s another unbelievable figure in sports. The two of them are great role models and great people. I’m proud to be part of the program run by such a great coach.”

Krzyzewski earned his record-breaking 903rd career win Nov. 13 against Michigan State at Madison Square Garden. He now holds a lifetime record of 907-284 in 37 seasons.

“It’s no surprise to me because he’s a great coach,” Austin Rivers said. “The greatest coach right now.”

Krzyzewski and Summit join Dean Smith and John Wooden as the only college basketball coaches to have won the award. Smith, the former North Carolina men’s basketball head coach, won just months after he unexpectedly announced his retirement in 1997. Wooden, the former UCLA men’s basketball head coach, was in the middle of his seventh straight national championship season when he was honored in 1972.

Summitt is the winningest coach in college basketball history on any level, having recorded 1,075 victories—along with eight national titles—with the Lady Volunteers. Just before she entered her 38th season with Tennessee last August, Summitt announced she is suffering from early-onset dementia, though she plans to continue coaching for the indefinite future.

“Obviously, this is a tremendous honor,” Summitt said in a press release. “I am so privileged to share it with such a great coach in Mike Krzyzewski. During our careers, we have both been fortunate to work with so many talented student-athletes who were driven to excel both on and off the court.”

The two will be honored Tuesday night in Manhattan.

Share and discuss “Krzyzewski is SI Sportsman of the Year” on social media.