DSG debates democracy for religious groups

Senate members Fedja Pavlovic and Patrick Oathout speak at the weekly DSG meeting Wednesday.

Two issues of prejudice dominated Duke Student Government’s meeting Wednesday.

The Senate discussed an amendment to the Student Organization Finance Committee bylaw that proposed exempting religious organizations from holding democratic elections to decide their executive leadership. The amendment would allow these groups to determine leadership and structure at their discretion as, according to the amendment, not all represented religions are rooted in democracy.

In response to controversy around the recent Pi Kappa Phi fraternity “Pilgrims and Indians” party, the Senate passed a resolution that stated the Senate will commit to seeking policy to inspire positive social interactions. The resolution, which was written by senior Ebonie Simpson, vice president of student life, marks DSG’s effort to create a more accepting campus environment.

Senior Shane Hunt, student director of the Duke Catholic Center, represented religious organizations at the meeting. The current bylaw requires all student organizations to hold democratic elections and, at minimum, elect a president and treasurer who act as liaisons between the group and the Office of Student Activities and Facilities.

“Democracy is a Western tradition being imposed on certain Eastern religions,” said sophomore Patrick Oathout, senator for athletics, services and the environment.

About 50 percent of religious organizations on campus support exemption from democratic processes, Hunt said. In some of these religious orders, democracy is not recognized as legitimate. Some religious groups choose a different leadership style than an executive power, choosing instead to act as a collaboration of many undergraduates, said President Pete Schork, a senior.

“Many individuals in religious groups do not have any interest in political processes,” Hunt said. “I’m concerned about democracy being forced on religious life groups. To be honest, I don’t know how many people will show up.... The question is if a democratic election will even be democratic.”

Executive Vice President Gurdane Bhutani, a junior, provided information about current election practices within religious groups, which was collected last year after DSG review. The majority of groups without clear election policies were religious groups, which were mainly run by advisers, Bhutani said.

“We need to make sure that all students are treated fairly,” he said. “Elections allow fairness in the expression of all viewpoints.”

The Senate tabled the amendment.

DSG also addressed the campus reaction following a “Pilgrim and Indian” themed fraternity party that stereotyped Native Americans and Native American culture. Senior Amber Richardson, president of Native American Student Alliance, asked Senate members to address Duke’s social culture and consider the organization’s concerns.

In response, Simpson’s resolution urged responsibility and accountability in future residential social events.

“This is not just something that’s happened this year,” Simpson said. “It’s frustrating to see students marginalized and have DSG not doing anything about it.”

The resolution passed by a vote of 40-2. It is meant to encourage DSG to take action by proposing a partnership with Housing, Dining, and Residence Life to implement such policies and potentially a body representing the students to hold groups’ events to higher standards.

In other business:

Sophomore Class President Andrew Hanna requested $6,630 in order to make Midnight Breakfast on West Campus free to all students. The Senate approved his request.

“There’s true value in having different types of people together in this tradition,” Hanna said.

DSG also allocated funds to next semester’s budget for a “Break the Silence” event hosted by To Write Love on Her Arms and the Sigma Nu fraternity. A benefit concert will raise awareness about depression and suicide.

Correction: A previous version of this article identified Shane Hunt as a sophomore. Hunt is a senior. The Chronicle regrets the error.

Share and discuss “DSG debates democracy for religious groups” on social media.