Mayoral race down to two candidates

A longtime incumbent is competing against a local pastor to become mayor of the Bull City.

Durham Mayor Bill Bell, a Democrat who was first elected in 2001, is running against Rev. Sylvester Williams, Democrat and pastor of the Assembly at Durham Christian Center. Bell won 81 percent of the vote in the mayoral primary that took place earlier this month, and Williams received 8 percent, the most of any other challenger. Key issues in the election are Durham’s $19.7 million savings account, the city’s bond rating and Durham’s current crime climate. The mayoral candidates have expressed differing stances on these issues, and Durham residents will decide their support at general elections Nov. 8.

Bell, a member of Durham County’s Board of Commissioners for 26 years, said he plans on mostly continuing his current practices as mayor if re-elected. Stressing the importance of continuing to improve Durham’s downtown area, Bell said he is committed to facilitating corporate growth and stimulating the economy. Bell also noted that he will continue to work to maintain the city’s AAA bond rating—a rating that ensures Durham can continue to purchase bonds at the lowest interest rate.

Transformations to the downtown area as well as the maintenance of an AAA bond rating—the best possible—are two examples of progress under his leadership, Bell said, noting that Durham also has the lowest unemployment rate in the state.

“But we have challenges in front of us,” Bell added. “We need to build jobs in the community, and I think we can be very effective.... I will combine stability, experience and leadership in a collaborative fashion in order to get things done in this community.”

But the challenger, Williams said it is time for a change in office. Although Bell runs on a platform that focuses on the revitalization of downtown Durham, Williams said more attention needs to be paid to the lower class that resides outside of the downtown area. Williams noted that the city council recently blocked community discussion on same-sex marriage by unanimously voting in its support and said he hopes to be more in touch with Durham’s citizens.

Currently serving as a pastor in the local community and previously working as an investment analyst, Williams said he is not only more in touch with Durham citizens, but also has the financial background to combat tough economic issues.

“I see the public from a completely different perspective than Bill Bell,” Williams said. “As pastor of a local church, I am dealing with people who are unemployed and are struggling with domestic issues.... And my 27 years as an investment analyst will help me understand the financial market and what can and cannot be done.”

Williams added that more measures need to be taken in order to reduce the crime problem in Durham and stimulate job growth in a slow economic environment.

“It is important that there are no tax increases while more jobs are created,” Williams said. “I will spend $10 to $12 million to hire more policemen and raise the salaries of current policemen.”

The issue of poverty in Durham, however, is more nuanced than just directly interacting with corporations or the lower class, said junior Elena Botella, president of Duke Democrats. Botella said there are viable arguments for both candidates’ platforms on how to deal with poverty in Durham, but noted that she believes Bell’s approach to eradicating poverty has already lifted many into the middle class.

The candidates also have opposing viewpoints on the two tax referendums on the ballot Nov. 8. A transit referendum will, if passed, implement a half-cent sales tax in order to expand public transit in the Triangle area. An education referendum will implement a quarter-cent sales tax to raise up to $6 million for public education in Durham.

Bell said he supports both referendums, noting that improved transportation and education will help stimulate the job growth in the city.

“We have got to have adequate transportation for our city to grow in a healthy way,” Bell said. “It provides jobs. It is a very vital program, and it’s a regional system, not just a Durham system.”

Williams said, however, that Duke—not individual citizens—should contribute more tax revenue in order to aid the city and become a better corporate system for Durham. He strongly opposes both referendums on the basis that they would raise taxes for the Durham public in an unhealthy economy, noting that the last tax increase to build a light rail never materialized.

Duke students should be concerned with these referendums, said junior Alexandra Swain, Duke Students Government vice president of Durham and regional affairs.

“I would strongly encourage students to go out and vote because it’s a way to get our voices heard in the city hall downtown,” Swain said. “There is legislation that affects us greatly, in education and transportation for example. If we mobilize students, we can have a stronger stake in City Hall and have our interests pushed on a city scale.”

Despite the differences in their platforms, Botella added that both candidates present viable platforms for supporting Durham through the next term.

“Bill Bell and Sylvester Williams are, in many ways, more similar than they are different,” she said.

Share and discuss “Mayoral race down to two candidates” on social media.