SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke opens at NCAA tourney

Andrew Wenger and the Blue Devils will take on Georgia State in the first round of the NCAA tournament Thursday at home.

Duke finished off its regular season schedule playing two out-of-conference opponents at home two weeks ago, tying Elon in double overtime and defeating Mercer. The Blue Devils knew it was important to prepare for postseason play by competing against non-ACC foes, with games in which they would be unfamiliar with the opponent and have little time to prepare.

This preparation will be put to the test at 7 p.m. tonight when Duke hosts Georgia State in the opening round of the NCAA tournament at Koskinen Stadium. The Blue Devils (10-7-3) and Panthers (13-7-1) both earned at-large bids to the tournament, with Duke one of six ACC teams and Georgia State one of four from the Colonial Athletic Association to make it into the field of 48 programs.

“The Elon game was a real tough game, and again they were much like Mercer and a lot like Georgia State,” head coach John Kerr said. “They’re going to make sure they’re organized in trying to prevent our attacking front six and make life difficult for them.”

The Panthers play a tight style with their 4-3-3 formation, which has resulted in their averaging just 1.48 goals per game this year. Although clearly not overpowering, their offense survived with a propensity to pull out close games, winning six 1-0 contests. Sophomore Evan Scott leads Georgia State up front with eight goals on a team-leading .178 shooting percentage.

“Their attacking guys are very athletic, very direct and have some speed and strength,” Kerr said. “So, we’re going to be very aware of that.”

Junior Andrew Wenger may receive his toughest challenge, though, from the Panthers’ veteran defensive front that allows just .95 goals per contest. Georgia State tied for 33rd in the nation in shutout percentage, registering nine clean sheets in 21 contests.

The Blue Devils, in comparison, have blanked its opponents just five times in 20 games. Duke makes up for this, however, with the nation’s seventh-best scoring offense at 2.1 goals per match.

The offensive unit is led by Wenger, who despite leading the team in goals has seen time on the back line recently due to the absence of Sebastien Ibeagha. Although Ibeagha was back for the team’s most recent game, it was a transitional game for Wenger, who needed time to adjust to being a forward again.

Wenger, who is fifth in Division I in goals this season with 17, knows that he will have to be comfortable back up top in order for the team to win.

“I hope I can just find my rhythm again,” he said. “I never really got into it in the [Boston College] game, but with a little continuation we can hopefully get things going.”

In all four seasons with Kerr at the helm, the Blue Devils have made the NCAA tournament and earned a home game in the opening round. Even though a potential road match against tenth-seeded and undefeated New Mexico looms in the second round, Kerr knows he must focus on the home-field advantage and the game at hand.

“It’s a lot of hard work getting to this stage, and having a home game to start off the postseason is huge,” Kerr said. “We’re not looking past it. We have a lot of respect for Georgia State.”

Share and discuss “Duke opens at NCAA tourney” on social media.