Twenty-six organizations apply to become selective living groups

More selective living groups than anticipated have applied for a physical stake in next year’s house model.

Twenty-six groups applied to become SLGs under the new house model to begin Fall 2012, said Joe Gonzalez, associate dean for residence life. These groups include the nine Panhellenic Association sororities, Alpha Phi Omega fraternity, Line Monitors, Program II, Black Culture Living Group and Men’s Housing Initiative, among others. Applications were due September 30.

“This is higher than I anticipated,” Gonzalez said. “We knew that the nine [Panhellenic] sororities were going to apply, and we knew the [overall] application number was going to probably be in the neighborhood of 20. ”

Administrators have repeatedly said that there will be 74 houses, but Gonzalez said there now may be more than 80 houses. There is no limit to how many groups will be accepted as SLGs.

More details, including information about the outlook for other living communities, are beginning to materialize as well.

Gender-neutral housing will continue under the house model, Gonzalez said, though he added that a gender-neutral house will be run as an administrative community—similar to the Wellness Living/Learning Community and the Women’s Housing Option.

“[Gender-neutral housing] will be an administrative community,” Gonzalez said. “It will have a leadership structure, fees that the house will use to get events and will have a defined space.... [Those who want to live there] would apply to be placed in that community.”

Gonzalez said there will be a similar number of beds in the gender-neutral house as there are this year. Currently, gender-neutral housing is available in select areas on Central Campus and allows opposite sex roommate pairs.

Sophomore Jacob Tobia, co-president of Duke Students for Gender Neutrality and Duke Student Government director of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer affairs and policy, said he approves of a gender-neutral house but added that there is more work to be done.

“While we think that establishing gender-neutral houses is ultimately a positive step on the road to adopt more inclusive gender-neutral housing options, we would advocate to establish two gender-neutral houses, one on West Campus and one on Central Campus,” Tobia said. “This will ensure that students who desire a gender-neutral housing environment are accorded the same opportunity to live on West or Central Campus.”

All 26 potential SLGs will tentatively present to the Approval/Removal Committee Oct. 14, Gonzalez said. Panhellenic sororities may present as one group, he noted. The committee will have a role in approving applications for a house.

During presentations, potential SLGs will elaborate on their group concept and explain why their group will benefit from residential space, Gonzalez said.

“We want to know what is something special or unique [potential SLGs] can bring to their residential experience,” Gonzalez said.

The committee will also ask potential SLGs about how many beds they expect to have within their house, he added.

“We want each group’s application to be evaluated on its merit,” Gonzalez said. “Theoretically, each application could be supported.... We’ll wait to see which ones should be supported.”

Junior Alex Swain, DSG vice president for Durham and regional affairs and a member of the house model working group, said she thinks 26 groups applying to be potential SLGs is much larger than the administration expected.

“I think the administration understand this is a problem and are going to try to work with students,” Swain said.

Share and discuss “Twenty-six organizations apply to become selective living groups” on social media.